Direct Hire Career Opportunity Bulletin
Maine Revenue Services
SENIOR TAX EXAMINER
Income Tax Division/Business Tax Unit
CODE: 0510 PAY GRADE: 23 Salary : ($37,689.60 – 51,438.40/annually)
Maine State Government is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer - diverse candidates encouraged to apply. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.
OPENING DATE: March 21, 2013
CLOSING DATE: April 5, 2013
Senior Tax Examiners are first-level supervisors responsible for the smooth operation and integration of the elements they supervise within the greater mission of the Bureau. The work is administrative, and includes applying laws and regulations to various tax and benefit programs administered by the Division. Responsibilities for this position include making determinations on amount and type of taxes owed, directing taxpayer assistance services, handling difficult and complex tax problems, monitoring tax filing systems, and communicating/coordinating with IT technical staff.
Senior Tax Examiners work semi-independently but provide close supervision of the employees under their direction. They need to interact effectively with subordinates, with other supervisors, with professionals representing taxpayers, and, above all, with taxpayers themselves. They must be knowledgeable, tactful, and professional.
REPRESENTATIVE TASKS :
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED :
- Plans, organizes, assigns, and oversees unit work in order to ensure an orderly and efficient work flow.
- Explains state tax laws, rules, and regulations to attorneys, Certified Public Accountants, and taxpayers in order to explain proper procedures to be used in determining tax liabilities and filing requirements.
- Answers telephone, writes letters, and gives opinions of a complex nature to the public and tax professionals in order to provide requested information.
- Develops and coordinates section operations and training in order to ensure established goals and objectives are met effectively and efficiently.
- Researches, reports, and recommends changes in section procedures and practices in order to enhance operational efficiency.
- Reviews and evaluates complex reports of corporations, partnerships, and individuals in order to determine proper taxpayer compliance and correct State tax liability.
- Advises taxpayers and their representatives in order to respond to requests for technical information concerning the application of Maine tax laws.
- Monitors, and assists with maintaining electronic filing and data processing systems.
- Knowledge of state and federal tax laws, rules, and regulations.
- Knowledge of tax administration and personnel management.
- Knowledge of forms and applications relative to programs administered by the Division.
- Knowledge of confidentiality requirements of tax-related information.
- Knowledge of accounting procedures and systems.
- Knowledge of electronic filing and data processing systems.
- Ability to detect violation of tax laws.
- Ability to oversee the work of other technical and/or clerical employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Ability to interpret and apply tax laws, rules, and regulations to varying situations.
- Ability to detect errors in tax returns.
- Ability to analyze information, reach logical conclusions, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to understand electronic filing and data processing systems and to effectively communicate/coordinate with IT staff.
In order to qualify, you must have a Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, or a related area and two (2) years of professional work experience in accounting, auditing, or tax preparation/examination. Equivalent experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
HOW TO APPLY: Please forward a direct hire application form available at the General Government Service Center in Augusta, all Maine Career Center Offices, and on the General Government Service Center web page at www.maine.gov/fps/opportunities . The completed application must be submitted along with a resume and cover letter by the closing date to: Julie Cotnoir, HR Generalist, General Government Service Center , 74 State House Station, Augusta , Maine 04333-0074 , Telephone (207) 624-7417.
JobsInME.com - 18 months ago