Founded in 1949, Grand Canyon University is one of Arizona’s leading higher learning institutions. Based in Phoenix, the regionally accredited, private, non-denominational Christian university offers online and campus-based bachelors, masters and doctoral degree programs through the College of Doctoral Studies, Ken Blanchard College of Business, College of Education, College of Nursing and Health Sciences, College of Theology, College of Arts and Sciences, and College of Fine Arts and Production.
Grand Canyon University is currently seeking full time Public Safety Officers to ensure the security and public safety of University employees, students, visitors, public and all University properties. Individuals are required to pass a criminal, education, DMV, drug, and employment background checks. Must be able to pass Concealed Weapons certificate training. Daytime, evening and nighttime shifts are available.
- Inspects buildings and grounds to observe and secure facilities against fire and other situations of potential loss to the University.
- Admits and releases authorized persons, remove unauthorized persons and provides access control for approved personnel.
- Investigates and documents disturbances and incidents, takes charge which may involve the use of physical restraints to maintain order, safety and to protect property.
- Cooperates with campus staff and external law enforcement agencies while conducting investigations. Testifies in court, if applicable or required.
- Operates security command center, which includes monitoring a CCTV system, access control systems and digital alarm receivers including fire and burglar systems
- Provides escort services as requested for students and visitors to University facilities and parking lots.
- Abides, follows and enforces University policies, applicable local, state and federal laws and regulations/
- Enforces campus parking regulations by issuing tickets, booting vehicles and controlling traffic as needed.
- Performs special assignments including executive protection of University officials, workplace violence issues and protecting University equipment and property.
- Is required to operate University vehicles including vans, golf carts and other University vehicles safely.
- Must meet training requirements for departmental firearms as well as applicable annual training initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Demonstrates a high degree of ethical behavior and adheres to the standards and regulations of the University and legal environment.
- Dedicated and committed to assisting others with the ability to work with diverse populations and personalities.
- Cooperative, collaborative and inclusive team player.
- Must be able to meet the physical requirements of the position and daily responsibilities. Must have physical stamina to chase on foot, apprehend, subdue and restrain.
- Good communications and interpersonal skills, ability to speak Spanish or other non-English language is helpful.
- Demonstrates solid judgment in the everyday work environment.
- Valid Arizona Drivers’ license in good standing; must be insurable.
- Must be flexible to work occasional evenings and weekends depending on scheduled events.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) plus one year of experience as a Public Safety Officer or similar capacity.
- Associates degree from an accredited college/university is preferred.
- A combination of education and experience which provides the individual with the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job may be substituted upon the supervisor’s approval.
- Certifications in CPR, First Aid and First Responder are preferred.
Grand Canyon University promotes a drug-free workplace and conducts pre-employment drug testing for this position. In addition, employees may be subject to periodic random drug testing.
Grand Canyon University’s exceptional workplace benefits include medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K savings plan, Education Tuition Program of up to 100% of tuition costs and a generous holiday and paid time off package. For more information on our benefit programs, please click here.
Grand Canyon University - 13 months ago