SERTA MATTRESS-NATIONAL BEDDING COMPANY
Title: MAINTENANCE MECHANIC (CLASS-A)Location: SERTA-PLANT
Under minimum supervision, installs, maintains and repairs mechanical equipment and tools in the Plant. Performs all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
*1. Examines equipment and tools to diagnose trouble.
*2. Disassembles mechanical equipment and tools, repairs or replaces worn or broken parts, and reassembles. Adjusts parts of mechanical devices as needed. Inspects completed repairs.
*3. Performs preventive maintenance on mechanical equipment and tools in accordance with established preventive maintenance program. Cleans, lubricates and/or replaces parts.
*4. Provides basic maintenance to plant structure and performs electrical and light plumbing work. Recommends repairs by external vendors, vehicle or other specialized mechanics as needed.
*5. Documents maintenance work performed and maintains related records and files, including MSDS.
*6. Requisitions new or replacement parts, tools or equipment for the approval of the Plant Manager.
*7. Assists with the planning and installation or rearrangement of machinery or equipment.
*8. Assists with investigations of work related accidents and injuries or sabotage that involve machines, equipment and/or tools. Participates in the development of new equipment and finished goods processes.
*9. Communicates regularly with the Plant Manager, Supervisors, Purchasing, and Plant Administrators in order to coordinate matters related to maintenance of equipment. Provides input for the annual Plant budget and capital
10. Maintains knowledge of current trends in the field and maintains appropriate licensure or certifications. Attends appropriate training programs to remain current on machines, equipment and other maintenance related areas.
11. Assists with special projects as requested.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
1. High school graduate or equivalent
2. Five years of relevant training in one or more of the maintenance trades to perform class of
work ordinarily required of a journeyman in these trades.
3. Mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic skills
4. Familiarity with safety programs in manufacturing environment
5. Must be at least 18 years of age.
1. Knowledge of spreadsheet or database software
2. Experience working for a bedding manufacturer
1. Effective communication and interpersonal skills
2. Effective organization and planning skills
3. Ability to read and write English
4. Mechanical aptitude and ability to read blueprints and schematics
5. Ability to interpret and support standards, policies and procedures established by Serta, or Federal, State or local agencies.
Work involves exposure to usual hazards found in a manufacturing environment. Work may involve local and some limited national travel. Work may also involve lifting, pushing and pulling up to 100 pounds on an occasional basis, and crawling, climbing plus overhead work.
SUPERVISED BY: Maintenance Supervisor and Plant Manager
CAREER PATH: Maintenance Supervisor