This is a 10 month ACE/AFSCME position
Pay Table 500
Salary range - $16.68 - $30.35
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Operates a school bus over an assigned route in transporting children to and from schools and on other authorized school trips;
- Maintains order among students aboard school bus and reports cases of misbehavior to school and staff officials through proper procedures;
- Inspects bus and checks gas, oil, water and all lights, brakes, and safety equipment before driving;
- Prepares reports of accidents and incidents, which occur, on the bus;
- Attends safety meetings and other meetings as necessary;
- Prepares manifest reports as requested;
- May transport students on field trips and outings;
- Keeps bus clean - both inside and outside;
- Keeps an up-to-date route sheet on the bus at all times;
- Keeps required handbooks on the bus at all times; and
- Perform related duties as assigned
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Good knowledge of driving safety and courtesy;
- Good knowledge of the operation of automobiles and buses;
- Good knowledge of the local streets and road system;
- Good knowledge of State regulations and laws pertaining to the operation of school buses;
- Good knowledge of Motor Vehicle Laws and Regulations of the State Board of Education, some knowledge of first aid;
- Ability to deal patiently and effectively with students;
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions,
- Ability to deal courteously and effectively with school principals and parents;
- Interest in and liking for children;
- Ability to maintain effective control over groups of children;
- Ability to work in tandem with other school system employees; and
- Must be in good physical condition.
The Maryland State Department of Education requires that anyone operating a school bus in transporting pupils have at least five (5) years driving experience and have attained the minimum age of twenty-one (21) years .
Possession of Commercial Driver's License (CDL), Class A or B with passenger endorsement or Class B Learners Permit with passenger (P) and school bus (S) endorsements; and the ability to meet special training and qualifications as set forth by Prince George 's County Public Schools .
Direct Deposit is expected as a condition of new hire employment.
Based on the settlement agreement reached in Administrator, Wage and Hour Division, U.S. Department of Labor v. Prince George's County Board of Education, OALJ Case No. 2011-LCA-00026, PGCPS is ineligible to sponsor foreign nationals for U.S. employment under any temporary or permanent visa program. As a condition of employment, all applicants for employment must be qualified to work in the United States without sponsorship by PGCPS. If you are not work-authorized and would require PGCPS to sponsor you for a work visa you will not be considered for employment