The Salon Manager is responsible for overseeing all aspects of salon operations. The Salon Manager is directly responsible for achieving sales goals through exceptional customer service, marketing the salon, sales growth and cost control. Specifically, the Salon Manager is expected to:
As a Salon Manager, you will be held accountable for the operation of your salon in these key areas. Successful performance will be measured by the financial results of your salon. Always represent yourself and the company positively and protect the company’s interests and assets.
- Market the salon and grow the business
- Provide exceptional customer service
- Manage and control expenses
- Lead and develop a team
- Complete required administrative tasks
- Ability to work a minimum of 35 hours per week on a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends. Occasional overtime may be required.
- Valid current cosmetology license, to include a manager license as required by local (or state/provincial) cosmetology regulation. Position may require the stylist to work alone in the salon.
- Ability to work in a dynamic salon environment.
- Good time management skills, good judgment, and the ability to multi-task.
- Strong leadership qualities, motivated and respected; with a demonstrated ability to supervise and coach.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with subordinates, peers, supervisors and clients.
- Ability to read, digest and analyze various reports, including but not limited to various sales reports, time reports and loss prevention reports.
- Mathematical skills to accurately compute and complete required functions.
- Computer knowledge including, but not limited to, point-of-sale system.
1. Market the salon and grow the business
a) Utilize existing business building tools and programs to increase sales, increase customer count and retain customers;
b) Meet or exceed minimum productivity requirements as established by the company;
c) Promote and sell services and products, including recommending and selling additional services and/or retail products which will enhance and improve the customer’s image and/or contribute to the customer’s satisfaction with services performed;
d) Coordinate promotional sales displays as directed by the Company using the ShopTalk;
e) Develop and maintain local business relationships.
f) Maintain professional appearance and a positive attitude.
2. Provide exceptional customer service
a) Understand the needs of customers; handle and resolve customer service issues to maintain customer loyalty;
b) Conduct quality consultations by suggesting hairstyles according to physical features of the customer, current styles, or from the customer’s instructions;
c) Communicate to the customer a clear understanding of the pricing before services are performed;
d) Display a sound understanding and perform all available services in a competent, efficient and professional manner;
e) Coach and develop the team through existing customer service training programs.
f) Establish and maintain a positive working relationship with peers, salon personnel and home office personnel,
as well as landlords, property managers, licensors, and beauty schools.
3. Manage and control expenses
a) Create weekly salon schedules and direct changes using available scheduling and forecasting tools to ensure acceptable wait times and achieve payroll goals;
b) Correctly charge for services rendered and products purchased, including proper discounting according to Company policy;
c) Effective control of salon operating costs such as supply and retail inventory, utilities, and maintenance costs;
d) Safeguard company assets. Audit salon to ensure employees charge correctly for services and products. Ensure timely bank deposits are made. Work with supervisor, loss prevention and law enforcement to recover assets.
4. Lead and develop a team
a) Recruit, interview, hire and retain staff;
b) Motivate the team creating a positive work environment;
c) Maintain professional appearance and a positive attitude;
d) Train and provide guidance to employees on the use of all business operating systems including, but not limited to, point-of-sale systems;
e) Train and provide guidance to employees on proper techniques for services offered;
f) Set clear goals and objectives for team, measure performance and provide guidance to the team through regular communications to meet those goals;
g) Document important conversations, incidents and goals. Approve time off and schedule employees according to forecasting requirements;
h) Discipline and terminate staff when appropriate with the approval of the Area Supervisor.
5. Complete required administrative tasks/compliance
a) Enforce and promote all corporate policies, procedures and work rules;
b) Ensure closing procedures are adhered to and daily bank deposits are made;
c) Ensure the cleanliness of the salon and that the salon complies with all applicable state and local sanitation rules;
d) Perform a variety of tasks related to salon operations, including but not limited to: answering telephones, stocking shelves, taking cycle counts/inventory, and other duties as assigned;
e) Ensure information in POS system is correct and up to date, including employee and new hire information and salon price list;
f) Ensure all staff licenses are current, valid and posted;
g) Ensure all items required by state and federal law are posted in salon as directed by company;
h) Maintain and uphold safety standards by identifying and correcting conditions that affect salon safety;
i) Timely submission of all company required paperwork.
j) Ensure salon is open for all posted hours covering any employee’s shifts, if necessary.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Frequent lifting up to 10 lbs. to pick up bottles of product needed to perform hair services and stock retail shelves. Occasional lifting 10-25 lbs. to assist unloading monthly shipment of products.
- Continuous standing throughout the day to perform hair services and other job related functions.
- Continuous walking – greeting the client at the front of the salon and walking them back to the styling chair, to and from the shampoo area, to get supplies needed for the service and walking the client back to the front of the salon.
- Continuous repetitive movement with fingers, hands, wrists and arms using scissors to cut hair, rolling hair in rods to perform perm services, vigorous movement to massage/shampoo client’s hair, twisting wrists to blow dry and styling hair with various irons.
- Continuous grasping of client’s hair, blow dryer, curling iron, combs, and hair coloring brushes in order to perform services.
- Continuous reaching, alternating between shoulder level and above shoulder level height to perform services, stock shelves, retrieve product/supplies from cupboards and shelves.
- Frequent twisting and bending to shampoo client’s hair and twisting to reach for tools while client is seated in styling chair and sweep hair off the floor after service.
- Occasional pushing and pulling to move styling chair.
- Continuous exposure to various chemicals and fragrances used in performing services and styling hair, including but not limited to permanent solutions, straightening solutions, shampoos, conditioners, hair spray and client perfume.
- Occasional climbing of ladder/stepstool to stock shelves, retrieve products, change bi-monthly collateral, and maintain salon.
- Visual observation of customer’s hair, including close vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to communicate with customers regarding services offered and requested and the customer’s needs and wants.
- Basic reading, writing and mathematical skills necessary to read and complete company forms and other documents, read product instructions and prepare daily close-out documents.
- Schedule and conduct staff meetings as required by operations management.
- Occasional travel to mandatory meetings and training sessions, including overnight travel.
Regis Corporation - 23 months ago
Regis Corporation is engaged in owning, operating and franchising hair and retail product salons. The Company owns Hair Club for Men and...