Highmark Companies is seeking a Manager of External Communications for a permanent position with a client of ours. A minimum of 5 years is required with the skills below. Experience in the Pharmaceutical Industry is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, English or related discipline.
- 5-7 years of relevant media relations experience.
- Minimal travel required (approximately 5%).
- Demonstrated verbal and written communications skills; strong and versatile writing skills with proven experience in developing clear, concise and persuasive materials under time pressure
- Good judgment with demonstrated ability to conceptualize, develop and execute communications approaches
- Familiarity with metrics-based communications planning, media strategy and stakeholder relationship approaches
- Good understanding of pharmaceutical and healthcare industry issues, competitive landscape and political environment
- Articulate spokesperson with demonstrated ability to work with reporters and manage reporter relationships; experience pitching and communicating confidently with top-tier national media, as well as regional, local and trade media
- Proven knowledge of media drivers and practices; ability to use that information to inform judgment on communications strategies and tactics
- Crisis/issue management experience
- Demonstrated teamwork skills to work effectively with Corporate UK Communications, multiple business units, and multiple divisions; ability to exert influence in this matrixed environment without reporting line authority
- Good project management skills and ability to independently manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of social media environment and ability to engage effectively to advance external communications strategies
- Working knowledge of digital media tools: e.g. Twitter, Facebook etc.
- Media events management experience
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure
The Manager, External Communications, will support the External Communications team by helping to implement external communications plans and programs through media outreach. Focused on topics as designated, the Manager, External Communications will work daily with the media and other external stakeholders, generating positive news flow on a variety of key business initiatives. This position will work flexibly as an integrated member of the US Pharmaceuticals Communications team to manage projects as required. The work of the Manager, Media Relations must align with and operate in coordination with global media relations teams.
- Primary Responsibility: Execute strategic media relations/communications plans to manage news flow and consistent messaging around assigned US Pharma business initiatives, issues and corporate strategies (proactive and reactive). Implement tactical plans for the most positive media coverage possible.
- External Environment Awareness: Keep abreast of external news to understand the evolving external environment, competitor activities, and who in the media is writing about them.
- Stakeholder Outreach: Implement as directed a relationship management program with target journalists who write about key issues in which the company is involved, including top-tier journalists and online media in designated topic areas.
- Media Spokesperson: Serve as primary point of contact for targeted print, wire, broadcast and online journalists who follow the business; serve as their spokesperson on identified areas.
- Issues/Crisis Management: As directed, serve as a contact point for liaising with the press on key corporate and product issues/crisis management that affect the share price and reputation of the company.
- Metrics: Incorporate metrics into communications tactical plans to evaluate communications effectiveness and return on investment.
- Matrix Team: Work cooperatively with colleagues in other functions across the company to ensure seamless delivery of communications objectives. Coordinate media activities and messages with key internal communications groups, including US-based investor relations, divisional and global communications teams, and US Pharma program leads. Develop internal communications planning and materials development for all external media activities/issues, working with the Internal and Executive Communications Team for distribution of information to the employee audience.
- Strategic Counsel: Provide insight and input into strategic and tactical planning to communications management and other functions outside Communications on issues and communications responses, media implications of proposed actions, and development of long-term communications plans and strategies.
- Communications Training: Engage in training programs to continually enhance communications capabilities, particularly in the areas of media, social and digital communications.
- Materials Development: Develop and gain approval for communications materials (Q&A’s, key messages, press releases, etc.) for external and internal distribution.
- Event Management: Plan and implement press conferences and other events to advance company initiatives; identify key external speaking events for senior management and prepare speeches.
- PR Agency Management: Work with PR agencies as directed to execute tactical media and communications plans.
Monster - 12 months ago
Highmark is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield...