Under general supervision of the Superintendent, the position is responsible for providing water utility services to customers in E. Palo Alto and ensuring that the water distribution facilities meet the regulated requirements from the state of CA
- Read /Investigate/ Re-Read residential / commercial water meters manually as well as using a Hand Held device. The job involves walking, lifting, bending, removing mud and debris from the meter box, cleaning the glass and accurately recording the readings during the billing cycle in the field.
- Collect water samples on a weekly or as required basis from various sampling stations including residential locations. Packing the samples in a cooler using ice packs and preparing for courier delivery or delivering to the lab.
- Cleaning Pressure Reducing valves on a weekly or as needed basis and making sure that the system is operating normally.
- Attend to customer requests to Turn Off and Turn On water supply based on Service orders or verbal instruction from the Office staff. Exercise Valves, Fire Hydrants and attend to complaints related to the water distribution system and quality. Fix / replace water meters, leaks and do minor repairs to the distribution system.
- Mark locations of underground water mains, distribution lines, Valves etc for USA by accurately reading system maps. Inform Superintendent of any physical changes noticed during field operations so that the system maps
- As an On Call Operator, attend to emergency calls from the after hours answering services, respond to the emergency as quickly as possible, and take further precautionary actions like shutting off Fire Hydrant or System Vales, etc., by verifying the exact locations. Coordinate and supervise the activities of contractor personnel in repairing the system and complete the associated paper work
- Operate Company vehicles, accessories and small tools as part of the field operations and do the necessary paperwork accurately and precisely using a computer.
- Cover the office staff in case of emergency by taking payments at the window or answering customer calls over the phone and in person after adequate training is provided. Any other duties assigned from time to time by the management
East Palo Alto O& M Contract is managed by the Contract Services Group of AWE under a long term lease from the city of East Palo Alto. . It has about 4000 Customer accounts. Meters are read bi-monthly and billed. There are 2 CSRs, 2 System Operators, one Supervisor and a Superintendent in the office. Most of the customers come to the Window in the office to make payments. System Operators read meters, do minor repairs, conduct investigations and work in the field. The office staff takes all customer inquiries over the phone and in person. All HR, Financial and other related services are provided from other Corporate locations like O’Fallon, New Jersey etc.
- 2 or more yrs of water utility experience in a similar role
- Field and Office as needed
- California DPH, Water Dist. Operator Grade D1 or higher license at time of hire
- Knowledge of Spanish or conversational Spanish.
American Water - 20 months ago
American Water Works Company, Inc. is United States water and wastewater utility company. The Company provides approximately 15.6 million...