The Gannett-owned NBC affiliate in Atlanta is looking for an Assignment
Editor who wants to cover more than car accidents and house fires. We
are looking for someone who will connect with our community regarding
stories people care about. Great people skills, knowledge of the Metro
Atlanta area, digital skills and knowledge of social media for gathering
news and sending out news content. Also:
• Responsible for managing assignments, dealing with logistics,
monitoring phones, scanners, wires and keeping up with local contacts to
ensure newsroom is aware of all potential stories, especially breaking
• Plans and assigns the news stories of the day and large news event
• Deals with time and logistics to make sure the selected stories are
covered efficiently with available staff.
• Contributes to multiple platforms on a daily basis including writing for the
web site, writing for newscasts, creating graphics, shooting and editing
• Minimum 3 years in a local newsroom is a must. College degree in
journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience
• Excellent people management skills.
• Strong communication skills, conflict management and customer service
• Strong organizational skills in a fast paced environment and deadline
• Requires sound news judgment, the ability to work under tight deadlines
and in stressful situations.
• Must be able to multitask and comfortable with new technology.
• Must understand basic setup of Satellite and Microwave technology and
be prepared to assist with tuning in live shots and feeds.
USA TODAY - 19 months ago
Gannett satisfies news junkies with a stash of daily US papers. The company is the top newspaper publisher in the US with about 80 daily...