Medical Director, UnitedHealthcare Clinical Services
UnitedHealthcare Clinical Services (UCS) conducts medical management activities for commercial and government business.. The majority of these activities are concentrated in inpatient review and appropriate inpatient utilization, although depending upon location and products covered, functions such as pre-certification and other traditional utilization management activities may be performed. UCS nurses, with supporting clerical staff, are concentrated in large regional centers, (although some nurses accountable to a location may work from home or onsite at network hospitals).
· UnitedHealthcare’s care management approach is data driven, and grounded in the use and application of evidence based medicine (EBM) and guidelines. The successful UCS medical director appreciates and understands data, is a champion of and is very conversant with evidence-based medicine, and uses nationally recognized clinical guidelines to teach and direct clinical staff, as well as engage the practicing community in discussions designed to result in individual patients receiving the right care, in the right place, at the right time.
· Through daily support of the UCS nurses, the medical director serves as a primary clinical educator and mentor, and facilitates achievement of appropriate patient care goals through guiding nurses and conducting peer-to-peer communication with practicing physicians.
· In addition, through the sharing of data and the promotion of EBM dialogue, the UCS medical director may engage with hospitals and/or local physician groups in forums designed to accomplish systemic change.
The UCS medical director is part of a national organization and team, and will collaborate with UCS peers and nurse managers, market medical directors and others from across the country. In response to customer need and expectation, UnitedHealthcare is continuously modifying its programs and approaches. Although not a primary job function, medical directors with the interest in doing so often have the opportunity to be involved with change design and management.
· Licensed physician; Board Certified in ABMS/ABOMS specialty
· 5+ years clinical practice experience
· Supervisory skills, including clinical mentoring and coaching expertise
Excellent presentation skills for both clinical and non-clinical audiences
· Excellent interpersonal communication skills (telephonic and face to face)
· The ability to establish rapport with physicians in peer-to-peer communications in frequent daily calls to physicians and facilities regarding perceived gaps in EBM and problem solving to close those gaps
· Knowledge of managed care industry
· Data analysis and interpretation experience and skills
· Strong belief in EBM philosophy
· Creative problem solving skills; training in Six Sigma methodology preferred
· Strong team player with team building skills
· Comfortable with change, and able to lead others through it
· Is a champion of EBM, and in particular of MCG which currently are the company’s primary review guidelines.
· Engages daily and ongoing with line inpatient review nurses, reviewing cases electronically or in verbal case discussion, (and less often in group discussion) with the goals of achieving the delivery of the right care at the right time in the most appropriate setting. Seeks opportunities for clinically appropriate behavior change based upon EBM, and accomplishing same with the practicing community.
· As a clinical resource and coach, assists nurses in having and improving insight into where and when opportunity exists. Helps nurses develop the skills and willingness to engage physicians in EBM discussion.
· Develops and delivers clinical education programs that address the specific needs of the local team; instructs individual nurses to understand and apply review guidelines, as well as engage with the practicing community.
· Promotes referrals to case management programs as part of longitudinal care management with the objective of reducing admissions and readmissions.
· Through use and/or analysis of available data (e.g., APR/DRG), identifies more global opportunities for intervention that may 1) better focus available review resources and activities, and/or 2) change practice or hospital habit.
· Assists in developing clinical strategy, identifying areas of clinical focus, developing initiatives to improve appropriate inpatient utilization and other functions and representing same to senior management.
· Concisely and articulately documents case review findings, actions and outcomes in electronic systems, and meets medical director inter-rater reliability and quality guidelines.
· Regularly engages in peer-to-peer dialogue with practicing physicians about the care of individual inpatients to develop collaborative intervention plans based upon EBM.
· Engages with employees from other business units (e.g., market medical directors, contracting personnel) to discuss and develop strategies to promote systemic network change based upon identified operational efficiencies or gaps from EBM. As needed, may meet with physician groups and/or hospital personnel.
· With operational leadership, monitors site-specific operations dashboard data, identifying opportunities and assisting in the development of appropriate action plans.
· Participates in national forums, sharing ideas on best practices with other medical directors and clinical leaders from other UCS sites. As need and opportunity present, participates in national committees and/or the design/redesign and development of programs.
· Works in close collaboration with site nursing leadership to provide strong leadership to staff. Supports and champions operational change.
· As needed, participates in other utilization management activities such as pre-certification review, appeals and grievance adjudication, etc.
UnitedHealthcare, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, is comprised of three specialized businesses dedicated to meeting the health care benefits needs of individuals and groups; all part of something greater, but each with a specialized focus:
UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual works with individuals, small businesses and large multi-site employers to provide innovative, affordable benefits services.
UnitedHealthcare Medicare & Retirement is focused on serving Americans over the age of 50. It is the largest business dedicated to meeting the growing health and well-being needs of aging individuals in the nation, serving one in five Medicare beneficiaries through a comprehensive and diversified array of products and services through four industry-leading businesses.
UnitedHealthcare Community & State provides high-quality, personalized, public-sector health care programs that help local government agencies improve health outcomes for millions of children and low-income and disabled individuals at an affordable cost.
Together, we?re removing the barriers that keep people from receiving the kind of quality health care that makes a difference. We focus on Integrity, Compassion, Relationships, Innovation and Performance as we empower people to achieve better health and well-being.
Come grow and thrive in our culture of innovation and ideas. Because there is no opportunity greater than the quest to help people live healthier lives.
UnitedHealth Group - 9 months ago
When you work to better people’s lives, one of those lives will always be yours.
We have modest goals: Improve the lives of...