Mental Health Resources, Inc.
The mission of MHR is to foster hope and recovery for those affected by mental illness.
§ We are committed to assuring that our clients are treated with dignity, respect, compassion, competence and innovation.
§ MHR is committed to providing services and supports that are recovery focused.
§ We believe that recovery is an option for every person we serve. To this end, our staff is focused on assisting our clients to in increase their self-reliance, lead productive lives and participate in the fabric of life in their community.
Position Description for Supportive Housing Counselor
This position provides supportive housing services to homeless adults diagnosed with mental illness and/or chemical dependency who reside in the Project Restore Supportive Housing Program.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
Client Related Duties - All are Essential Functions of this position
1. Provide direct service to assist clients with maintaining independent living.
2. Provide ongoing coaching and training of skills that enable clients to become more self-sufficient with living independently.
3. Provide mental health and chemical dependency services to clients in accordance with the Agency’s mission and philosophy of the program.
4. Support client development, assess individual needs, monitor progress, and provide additional resources when deemed necessary.
5. Coordinate services to insure the highest quality of care.
6. Coordinate services with all systems in which clients are involved by establishing and maintaining rapport with all service providers.
7. Provide family services through meetings and coordination when it is in the best interest of the client.
8. Coordinate services with team members through utilization of the team’s communication procedures (supervision, team meetings, and voice mail).
9. Establish and maintain relationships with community members, groups, and organizations to enhance client opportunities for acceptance.
10. Organize and coordinate activities that can promote a sense of community among program members including cultural and recreational outings for clients.
11. Support clients in participating in functions and activities in the local community.
12. Document all relevant detail pertaining to client services in order to maintain quality.
13. Maintain accurate and thorough client records.
14. Complete all other paperwork consistent with Agency standards.
A. Minimum Education and Experience
Baccalaureate degree in human services related field. Prefer two years counseling experience of which at least one year is experience in community based mental health with adults recovering from mental illness or combination of equivalent experience and training.
B. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ø Ability to model behavior consistent with the Agency mission.
Ø Knowledge of pluralism and diversity issues to work effectively with all people.
Ø Ability to establish constructive working relationships with clients and colleagues.
Ø Knowledge of professional and ethical principles and practices to conduct counseling with vulnerable adults in the community.
Ø Knowledge of medications and symptoms of the more prevalent mental illnesses to determine client’s baseline and stability.
Ø Knowledge of signs and symptoms of chemical dependency to make accurate assessments and develop appropriate plans.
Ø Knowledge of documentation for documenting client progress, goals, and incident reports.
Ø Skill in oral and written communication.
Ø Ability to work independently in the field.
Ø Ability to work effectively as a team member.
Ø Ability to teach crisis prevention and perform crisis intervention techniques.
Ø Ability to access and understand professional literature.
Ø Ability to travel to diverse locations to deliver services and participate in Agency functions.
C. Working Conditions
Ability to work in an environment which requires the use of a personal computer, telephone, and other technical apparatus 25% of the time; ability to perform repetitive motions of the
fingers, hands, and wrists.
The above statements are not intended to encompass all functions and qualifications of the position; rather, they are intended to provide a general framework of the requirements of the position. Job incumbents may be required to perform other functions not specifically addressed in this job description.
Monster - 13 months ago