Facebook is seeking a forward thinking experienced engineer to join the Site Operations Team. This position is full-time and will be based in Prineville, Oregon.
We seek an IT professional with advanced hands-on technical skills in Networks, Server Hardware and Linux (Ideally in a Data Center environment).
Having depth and breadth knowledge of managing servers in a large scale distributed environment is a core competency of this individual.
The candidate should also have deep knowledge and experience in at least one of the following core areas: Networking, Project Management, Tool and Automation, Hardware and OS repair
- Understand, troubleshoot, and fix broken servers/Linux OS related issues on server.
- Work in teams to deploy new data center infrastructure.
- Install new servers, design rack layout and power allocation.
- Help test and troubleshoot new server hardware components and designs.
- Drive specifications for tools that facilitate administration of servers spanning multiple data centers, to include automation and streamlining of processes
- Help to develop global standards and promote best practices in data center operations
- Assist in tracking data center issues and keeping Facebook servers alive and serving
- Introduce process improvements and encourage best practices in data center operations
- Predict data center growth and scaling issues before they occur and implement solutions
- Provide cross-functional communication with other technical operations groups.
- BS or BA in technical field
or commensurate experience
- Solid industrial experience working with Linux (Red Hat/CentOS, SUSE, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo), or Unix (Solaris, FreeBSD, OSX).
- Solid Python, SQL and/or shell scripting knowledge
- Hands on experience with routers and managed switches (inc. Cisco).
- Experience supervising, training, mentoring, and leading other technicians.
- Comfortable with Linux and hardware systems support in an Internet operations environment.
- Should be experienced in large scale data center hardware deployments and building scaling infrastructure.
- Should have a solid understanding of enterprise level networking and storage equipment installs.
- Should have an understanding of out-of-band/lights-out server communication methods, such as IPMI and serial console.
- Competency in bash, php, python, or perl scripting is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess excellent time and project management skills.
- Able to lift/move 20-30 lbs equipment on a daily basis.
Facebook - 14 months ago
copy to clipboard
Facebook is a social utility that connects people with friends, business contacts and others who work, study and live around them.