The Civil Engineer II provides timely, accurate, and cost efficient engineering services both in the office and in the field.
- Effectively deal with difficult situations and confrontation both internally and externally with contractors and clients.
- Exercise independent thinking, creativity, and initiative in the performance of these duties.
- Perform all responsibilities with attention to detail and deadlines.
- Must project a professional, positive attitude and exercise confidentiality.
- Work effectively both independently and as team member.
- Understand, interpret, participate in, and implement company-mandated safety policies.
- Travel is required; may work overtime, especially during the construction season.
Responsibilities include planning, design, construction, and maintenance in the areas of transportation, structural, and construction.
- Provide services for civil engineering projects to include design, plans, specifications, reports, maps, environmental impacts, project budgets, scope of work, permits, contracts, schedules, estimates, surveying, data collection, construction observation, field investigation, and coordination of subconsultants and contractors.
- Provide engineering services with accuracy, on time and under budget.
- Provide quality control on all project work.
- Limited role growing to a more prominent role as project manager or project engineer on designated projects as individual becomes more experienced.
- May be a client manager and report progress to supervising engineer.
- This position has the potential to be, or to develop into, a leadership position with a supervisory role depending on experience. Individuals with more experience have the opportunity to supervise staff, coordinate business development, and handle project financials.
- Provide direction and review for and support to the group by leading design aspects of projects; instructing, training, and mentoring group members and support staff; and adhering to project budget and schedule.
- Limited role growing to a more prominent role with marketing responsibilities with assigned clients to obtain work for the firm as individual becomes more experienced.
- Confer with project team members and clients to prepare and participate in project proposals and interviews.
- Use computer assisted engineering, design, and drafting software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Understand and follow the companys established standard CADD procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects.
- Attend internal and external meetings.
- Client contact and communication. Utilize effective communication skills to answer inquiries from coworkers, clients, or the public.
- Public involvement may include speaking and meeting with stakeholders as well as producing reports, graphics, presentations, and other visual material.
- Provide all engineering services in a legal and ethical manner.
- Serve as onsite project representative. Reviews construction site to monitor progress and other duties per the contract documents.
A Bachelors degree in civil engineering or a related field from an accredited four-year college or university is required and 5-10 years of experience. A PE (Professional Engineer) license is highly desired. The individual must interact with people at all levels, communicate effectively and lead project teams. Strong computer skills, detail-oriented, self-starter, leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills are essential. A valid drivers license is required, or the ability to obtain one.
- Department of Transportation Project Management experience preferred.
- ND PE license preferred or ability to obtain within 6 months.
- Proficiency in Microstation, GeoPak and Civil 3D preferred.
Hours and Travel:
This position requires the individual work 40 hours per week with 85% of the time spent in the office and 15% in the field.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
The employee must frequently lift and move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The noise level on the construction site is often loud.
Required Documents to Apply:
- Two documents are required for us to process your application.
- They must be separate and in PDF or Microsoft Word format:
- Cover Letter - you may address your letter to HR Recruiter
- Do not use extra punctuation or spaces when naming your documents.
- Use "john_resume.doc" instead of "john.resume.doc" or "john's resume.pdf"
KLJ - 16 months ago
For 75 years, KLJ has provided engineering and planning solutions for local, regional and national infrastructure projects. KLJ provides...