Responsible for timely and accurate patient registration. Interviews patients for all pertinent account information and verifies insurance coverage.
DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
• Interview patients to obtain all necessary account information
• Ensure charts are completed and accurate
• Verify all insurance and obtain precertification/authorization
• Calculate and collect patient liable amounts
• Ensure that all necessary signatures are obtained for treatments
• Answer any questions and explains policies clearly
• Process patient charts according to paperwork flow needs and established productivity standards
• Welcome patient and family members in a professional manner. Contact the nursing staff for emergency medical needs and answer patient and visitor questions.
• Interview incoming patients, his/her relatives, or other responsible individuals to obtain identifying and biographical information with insurance and financial information
• Assign I-plans accurately and research Patient Visit History to comply with the Medicare 72 hour rule
• Search MPI completely and assign the correct medical code number. Notify Medical Records for any duplicate unit numbers.
• Verify insurance benefits and determines precertification status. If precertification is needed, call the insurance precert department and initiate review or verify authorization number provided by scheduling staff. Enter all information and authorization numbers into the registration system.
• Secure all signatures necessary for treatments, release of medical information, assignment of insurance benefits, and payment of services from legally responsible parties. Obtain copies of necessary identification and insurance cards.
• Explain policies regarding services, charges, insurance billing, and payment of account. Request full or partial payment for services rendered according to collection policies. Issue a Business Office letter to all patients according to policy.
• Obtain proper authorization for treatment and approval codes from the insurance carrier for patients presenting for treatment insured by an MCO. Collect co-pays, deposits, and deductibles and documents collection status in the system and chart. Issue waivers for signatures when appropriate.
• Inform former patients or their representatives of delinquent accounts and attempt to obtain payment. Refer delinquent accounts to the Manager/Supervisor for further action.
• Receive and receipt payments from patient for services rendered. Prepare daily deposits and maintains the integrity of the cash drawer.
• Produce paperwork on each patient for distribution to appropriate departments. Align pertinent documents for establishing the patient’s medical record and financial file.
• Register and admit all patients after the other registration departments are closed. Route admission documents and forms to appropriate departments.
• Price, key, and detail patient charges. Burst charts for distribution to physician’s billing service, medical records, ancillary departments, and the business office. Check for double charges on all accounts.
• Communication - communicates clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing
• Customer orientation - establishes and maintains long-term customer relationships, building trust and respect by consistently meeting and exceeding expectations
• Interpersonal skills - able to work effectively with other employees, patients and external parties
• PC skills - demonstrates proficiency in PC applications as required
• Policies & Procedures - demonstrates knowledge and understanding of organizational policies, procedures and systems
• Basic skills - able to perform basic mathematical calculations, balance and reconcile figures, punctuate properly, spell correctly and transcribe accurately
• High school diploma or GED required
• At least one year of registration experience preferred
CERTIFICATE/LICENSE - N/A