The NCSU Libraries serves as the gateway to recorded knowledge and information for the NC State community and its partners, offering a competitive advantage in attracting and retaining the best faculty and students to the university. For more information about the Libraries, please see http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/aboutthelibraries/
Essential Job Duties
The Coordinator will organize and coordinate the North Carolina Literary Festival, which will be held in April 2014 at the James B. Hunt Jr. Library on NC State’s Centennial Campus. This free public festival is an educational event for people of all ages from the surrounding communities and across the state. The program includes readings and discussions, exhibits, performances, book signings and sales, and interactive programs. The Coordinator will report to the Director of Program Planning and Outreach.
The Coordinator will:
- Work closely with the Director of Program Planning and Outreach to design, develop, and implement all aspects of the North Carolina Literary Festival, with the assistance of a planning committee, library leadership, other library staff, and volunteers.
- Work with Library Development staff to secure sponsorships, both in-kind and cash, and perform fundraising and grant writing activities in support of the Festival.
- Assist with planning the Festival program; site planning; identifying authors and arranging their visits; recruiting, managing, and supervising temporary staff and a full suite of volunteers who will carry out Festival activities.
- Select and negotiate contracts with service vendors; serve as a liaison to relevant University service departments.
- Work with the Libraries’ Director of Communication Strategy to develop and carry out a marketing and communications plan for the festival, including news releases, advance schedules of events, a festival program, and comprehensive festival web site.
Bachelor’s degree. Successful experience in large-scale event planning and coordination. Experience with budgeting and financial procedures.
Departmental Required Skills
Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
Ability to perform under strict deadlines. Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to interact effectively in a research university setting.
Ability to coordinate a large, diverse work team.
Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Knowledge of North Carolina and Southern writing communities.
Experience with literary or cultural festivals. Experience managing volunteers.
Required License or Certification
Valid NC driver’s license required.
Application, cover letter, resume, contact information for four current professional references
North Carolina State University - 2 years ago