General Position Description:|
The Director/Vice President of Product Development is responsible for all product and service initiatives within the NBS Higher Education market segment. This includes requirements definition for all products and services, positioning, profitability analysis, internal and external communications, product launch, and end of life management. This position and the Product Development team are responsible for evaluating product ideas, collecting and analyzing market and competitive intelligence, and communicating the product and services vision internally and externally through the Product Roadmap. This position is the principal promoter of products and services within the NBS Higher Education business and is accountable for the alignment of the products and services with the strategic goals of the business and its client’s stated and anticipated business priorities. This position will actively participate as a leader contributing to the growth of Nelnet.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Responsible for developing and communicating internally and externally the Product Roadmap, including the product and service vision for the business.
2. Responsible for the entire product lifecycle management through to product end of life.
3. Conduct market research, trend-spotting, and strategic planning activities. Conduct in-depth market, industry and competitive analysis as it relates to product positioning.
4. Gather, analyze and maintain information on competitors’ products and services.
5. Identify strategic product opportunities and drive definition of next generation products based on in-depth knowledge of the needs within the marketplace and extensive direct customer interaction.
6. Develop business cases that document the revenue potential and financial viability of a product, service, or feature enhancement with the end goal to develop products and services that serve the greater Higher Education market and create margin for NBS.
7. Manages Product Owners who are responsible for supporting products and services.
8. Work with the Finance team to provide support for all pricing related decisions and to provide ongoing analysis of product profitability.
9. Collaborate with Business Analysts, developers, QA team, project managers, technical support, and release management to ensure technical specifications are achieved when bringing a product, service, or product enhancement to market.
10. Work closely with Sales Team to develop sales tools, product demonstrations, and training.
11. Work with Marketing to develop and execute innovative product marketing programs, pricing policies, and branding strategy.
12. Develop a product launch and marketing strategy with the Sales and Operations teams for all products.
13. Work with the customer support teams, including the CRM, MPAM, and Account Management teams, as new products and services and enhancements are delivered to the market.
14. Promote the NBS culture. Develop camaraderie and trust at all levels of the company.
15. Some travel required and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Effective management and leadership skills, including hiring, motivating and evaluating direct reports.
2. Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills.
3. Excellent organization and time management skills to prioritize and manage multiple concurrent projects.
4. Ability to identify and articulate go-forward product and service vision for company expansion and growth.
5. Ability to work with other teams to deliver profitable products, including finance, development, sales, operations.
6. Customer focused orientation; strong team player; analytical.
7. Demonstrated problem solving skills.
8. Flexibility to adapt quickly to new situations, programs, and services.
Education and Experiences:
1. A four-year college degree in a business related field or equivalent experience.
2. A minimum of 5 years of direct people management experience.
3. A minimum of 5 years of direct Higher Education experience, preferably coming from a college or university position.
4. Experience and high degree of proficiency with computer applications (primarily MS Office products).
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Nelnet Talent Acquisition & Recruiting.