Georgia-Pacific creates long-term value by using resources efficiently to provide innovative products and solutions that meet the needs of customers and society, while operating in a manner that is environmentally and socially responsible, and economically sound. Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia-Pacific is one of the world's leading manufacturers and marketers of building products, tissue, packaging, paper, cellulose and related chemicals. The company employs more than 30,000 people at approximately 300 locations in North and South America.
Facility Health & Safety
Manager (Gypsum Division)
Provide safety leadership and strategic direction to the facility through the application of the Market Based Management® (MBM®) Framework and Guiding Principles. Create real value for the organization by ensuring risk is aggressively identified and mitigated. Develop and align facility H&S strategies consistent with company/division H&S vision and strategies. Drive safety excellence and performance improvement through real culture change and effective, sustainable management systems. Ensure leaders and employees are trained and equipped to manage safety. Reports directly to the facility manager, with a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Regional/Division H&S Manager.
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, industrial hygiene, engineering, or related field.
- 5 years minimum H&S experience in an industrial, manufacturing, or chemical process environment.
Responsibilities & Expectations
- CSP or CIH, or demonstrated progress towards achieving certification.
- Demonstrated experience in leading culture change and developing/implementing management systems.
o The establishment and communication of clearly defined roles, responsibilities, and expectations.
- Provide leadership and direction in establishing and achieving a meaningful H&S vision and effective strategies through management commitment and employee ownership.
- Participate in the selection and development of talent throughout the facility’s organization.
- Facilitate H&S ownership and accountability by the line organization through:
o Active and effective coaching by management and supervision.
o Employee understanding, acceptance, and use of challenge process and decision rights.
o Recommend and facilitate engineering/design changes to eliminate or reduce risk (e.g., machine guarding, ergonomics, traffic, fire/explosion, noise, upset conditions).
- Drive safety excellence by creating an MBM® culture and developing/implementing risk and compliance management systems.
- Lead the development and use of risk assessment methods/systems for anticipating, identifying, and evaluating hazards. Drive and assist with the mitigation of identified gaps, weaknesses, and improvement opportunities.
- Actively manage all aspects of compliance (e.g., OSHA, company standards). Ensure ownership resides with the appropriate roles within the organization.
- Ensure facility risk profile is addressed through development/implementation of key controls.
o Drive flawless execution, assessment, and improvement of critical safe work practices.
o Support all phases of capital and major expense projects to ensure safe execution (e.g., design review, contractor selection/orientation/auditing, work plans/permits, pre-startup review).
o Ensure a system exists to develop, manage, deliver, track, and document needed and required training.
- Identify H&S development and training needs.
o Ensure training is provided by properly qualified persons, and that training is effective (e.g., though documented demonstration of competency).
- Actively share and seek out knowledge (e.g., best practices, lessons learned, franchising of H&S programs).
- Ensure change is identified, and proactively and effectively managed.
- Drive continuous improvement through the use of tool and activities, including: self-assessments and audit processes; incident/near miss investigations; metrics and targets (leading and lagging indicators); and periodic reviews of performance, culture, and talent.
- Effectively communicate facility H&S vision, strategies, and performance to internal and external stakeholders.
- Utilize training and development plans to grow H&S knowledge and skills.
Georgia-Pacific - 8 months ago
What's on Georgia-Pacific's mind? A whole lotta different products, that's what. Georgia-Pacific (GP) is one of the leading t...