An equal opportunity employer, affirmative action college supporting diversity.
Joliet Junior College is committed to a policy of non-discrimination to recruit, hire and promote for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, unfavorable military discharge, or any other unlawful basis in the recruitment selection, or employment of its employees. All employment decisions are based on the qualifications of each individual. No person shall be denied equal treatment on the basis of race, religion, national origin, ancestry, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, unfavorable military discharge or any other unlawful basis in employment practices and policies.
POSITION TITLE: INSTRUCTOR, FIRE SCIENCE/EMS
TEMPORARY - ONE SEMESTER
STATUS: Full time Non-Tenure track
DEPARTMENT: Nursing, Allied Health,
& Emergency Services
DIVISION: Academic Affairs
REPORTS TO: Department Chair
PLACEMENT: Placement on salary schedule is
dependent on qualifications.
MINIMUM PAY RATE: Qualifications include education
and related work experience.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The student population at the college is diverse in ethnicity, gender, language, age and background. Joliet Junior College is an AA/EO employer and strongly encourages applications from candidates who would enhance the diversity of its staff.
Adapt to new and changing situations and demonstrate a positive attitude. Demonstrate respect for students; understand learning styles and apply understanding to institution-related activities; demonstrate integrity and promote diversity and open communications. Fifteen credit hours a semester constitute a normal load. Course assignments may be late afternoon, evening, Saturday, and at branch campuses or satellite centers including some classes that may include outdoor activities. Position is subject to all terms and provisions of the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach introductory and advanced classes in EMS and introductory classes in Fire Science.
2. Work closely with other instructors and special programs and services within the college to determine placements, curriculum, OSFM certification and EMS System/IDPH guidelines, and academic support.
3. Participate in traditional, online, and/or blended course development, assessment, accreditation, and planning activities.
4. Participate in appropriate departmental meetings and recruitment activities; serve on committees.
5. Assist students with academic advising.
6. Demonstrate a strong commitment to teaching and learning.
7. Demonstrate strong understanding and commitment to the community college mission.
8. Teach at other campus sites as needed.
9. Meet other contractual obligations as spelled out in the Joliet Junior College faculty contract.
OTHER REQUIRED DUTIES
1. Monitor condition of instructional equipment, maintain or recommend maintenance as necessary. Establish and maintain inventories of equipment.
2. Act as a contact person for EMS and Fire Science to industry, schools, individuals and organizations.
3. Participate on advisory boards or organizations related to the program.
4. Perform other duties as assigned.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
1. Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Fire Science Administration/Public Administration/Education, or related field.
2. Five (5) years of experience in the fire/EMS field and three (3) years teaching experience in Fire Science/EMS.
3. IDPH EMS Lead Instructor certification.
4. Fire Fighter II Certification and must qualify to take certification exam as Fire Instructor II.
5. Expertise in appropriate technologies for instruction.
6. Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
1. Fire Officer II certification.
2. Teaching experience, particularly in a community college.
3. Experience in course development and assessment, planning, quality and accreditation processes, and committee service.
4. Experience with traditional and non-traditional students from diverse backgrounds.
1. Standard classroom equipment and software.
2. Standard fire service equipment and software. Must be able to lift 35 lb.
1. Classroom, skills lab, and simulation teaching environment.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 15, 2012
Apply online at
Transcript(s) must be attached to your online application or copies e-mailed (
), faxed (815-729-3331) or mailed (Human Resources Dept., Joliet Junior College, 1215 Houbolt Rd., Joliet, IL 60431) BY DEADLINE DATE. All required documents must be on file in Human Resources by posting deadline. OFFICIAL transcripts REQUIRED prior to hiring. Bring OFFICIAL transcripts at time of interview.
InsideHigherEd.com - 20 months ago