Intern - Law Clerk-24986
Intern – Law Clerk
Xcel Energy is currently seeking 2 motivated and personable law students to work in the Office of General Counsel (the corporation's in-house legal department). These positions are located in Denver, CO. The clerkship would involve working on a variety of matters related to the representation of Xcel Energy before local, state and federal courts and administrative agencies. This Clerkship is full time (~40 hours per week) during the summer of 2013, with the possibility to start the clerkship (part time) during the spring 2013 semester. In addition, there could be the opportunity for part time work throughout the 2013-2014 school year.
Please note: Only students currently pursuing a J.D. will be considered - current licensed attorneys are not eligible.
- Research federal and state statutes, regulations and rules and analyze legal issues primarily relating to the electric and natural gas industry.
- Draft memoranda summarizing research results and analysis of legal issues.
- Review and draft various types of contracts, pleadings and discovery.
- Assist with filings for federal and state judiciary and regulatory agencies.
Xcel Energy is targeting Denver based Law Schools (University of Colorado- Boulder and University of Denver (Sturm).).
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 11,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company.
Must provide resume, law school transcript and a short writing sample (advised to put all three requests in one document). Resume should indicate law school, class rank (if available) and GPA. The writing sample should be brief: 2 to 4 pages long (current coursework is acceptable and encouraged). If any of the specific requested information is unavailable, please explain why those requests cannot be fulfilled (i.e., quartile placement availability, transcript).
- Completion of one semester (or more) of Law School (either full or part-time equivalent) - must be a current student.
- First quartile in class rank (if class rank is available) or a minimum of a 3.0 GPA (absent other exceptional qualifications).
- Proficient legal research skills.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to follow through on all assignments, manage multiple projects simultaneously and establish priorities.
Primary Location: CO-Denver
- Relocation assistance will not be provided.
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity to 3.4...