LOCATION: Long Island, New York
This position is responsible for the consistent execution and delivery of the Central Human Resource strategies. The Human Resource Generalist collaborates with District Managers, Store Managers and Field staff to deliver all HR policies, procedures and programs within a territory of forty to fifty stores.
Manage the execution and compliance of all HR policies, procedures and programs within the assigned territory
Champion the Customer Service culture. Ensure the highest level customer experience througoh Associate mentoring.
Ensure the communication of and compliance with Company Policy, Collective Bargaining Agreements, and all applicable Local, State and Federal laws within the assigned territory
Execute the strategy to recruit, develop and retain candidates for all critical Store positions.
Manage and monitor the execution of Management Training Programs. Work collaboratively with central training to support new training programs.
Manage and monitor the execution of the performance management, talent assessment and succession planning process within the assigned territory. Identify and develop Store associates for succession planning for critical store positions.
Investigate and respond to all litigation claims such as ADA, EEO, and other Federal and State Agency Complaints.
Investigate and respond to all employee complaints.
Consult with the Director of Human Resources regarding performance management and succession planning, as well as on all human resource, associate relations, and staffing issues
Assist District Managers and Store Managers with conflict resolution to ensure that issues are identified and addressed promptly and fairly.
Assist in reducing litigation expense by ensuring the fair and equitable application of established policies and practices.
Protect the rights of employees from retaliation related to reporting perceived violations of any law or Company policy, and maintain the confidentiality of employees reporting potential violations as appropriate.
Manage and oversee disciplinary process in accordance with Company Policy and Collective Bargaining Agreements.
Drive culture and organizational change throughout the assigned territory. Act as a change agent within the organization to support specific business initiatives for change.
Act consistently as a responsible learner, demonstrating an accurate understanding of personal strengths and weaknesses related to role and career path, and pursuing concrete opportunities to fill knowledge gaps and enhance performance strength through training, self-study and on-the-job developmental experiences.
Model performance aligned with company Core Leadership competencies and consistently demonstrate company Core Values in all business activities.
SPECIAL SKILLS, TRAINING OR EXPERIENCE :
- Bachelors degree required; PHR certification preferred
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years experience as a HR Generalist in support of a multi-unit Retail environment
- Must have experience in a Union Environment
- Prof icient in Microsoft Office - Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access
- Oracle experience preferred
- Exc ellent verbal and written communication skills
- Project Management experience preferred
CORE LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
1. Situational Leadership: Matches leadership style to the needs of individuals and teams; delegates and provides guidance and coaching accordingly.
2. Motivating Others: Connects with and inspires others to perform at their best. Instills the desire to win in others. Establishes a challenging, stimulating, productive, fair work environment that supports both individual and team accomplishment. Recognizes others who take initiative and act with urgency. Makes things happen in the organization.
3. Performance Management : Sets high performance for her/himself and her/his team members and holds those standards. Clearly communicates roles, responsibilities and expectations. Provides direct, candid performance feedback to her/his team in a balanced, constructive manner. Balances being demanding with being supportive. Rewards excellent performance and moves with deliberate speed to take action with under-performers.
4. Talent Development : Creates a learning culture by supporting associate training and development, and encouraging associates to be self-directed learners. Demonstrates an accurate understanding of all of her/his team members’ strengths and development needs. Seeks out opportunities to stretch, grow and promote talent.
5. Two-Way Communication : openly shares information and creates an inclusive work environment by seeking input, listening and demonstrating respect for others. Tailors language and messages to better connect with others’ communication styles. Encourages an active and open exchange of ideas with others, and invites and responds to others’ questions. Uses professional language with others.
6. Change Leadership : Leads change efforts through careful attention to stakeholders and the impact on people. Assist people through change; build their understanding, skills and confidence so they can be successful in the new environment. Addresses resistance by clearly communicating the change, explaining that it means to people and engaging them in the change wherever possible. Models flexibility, adaptability and patience in and with ambiguous situations, responding positively to new demands and challenges.
7. Business Acumen : Demonstrates sound knowledge of "the business," including general business concepts, the grocery industry, and her/his functional area. Appropriately prioritizes business problems. Focuses the organization on what brings the most value to stakeholders. Understands and utilizes a range of levers and options available to achieve success and build shareholder value. Monitors the market place and capitalizes on business or industry trends.
8. Problem Solving and Decision Making : approaches problem using appropriate facts and information, and makes sounds decisions, taking into account both short- and long-term implications. Thinks nimbly and flexibly, envisioning multiple solutions to business issues. Determines the root causes behind issues and develops process improvements to eliminate or decrease recurring problems.
9. Drive For Results : Aggressively drives for outcomes that are beneficial to multiple stakeholders (shareholders, customers, associates) to positively EVA. Focuses on the critical factors that drive productivity, revenue growth and bottom line results. Demonstrates a sustained track record of consistent, verifiable results that balance the need for short-term performance with a view towards long-term success. Actively seeks out new or better ways of doing things to achieve results more efficiently and effectively.
10. Total Store Perspective : Address issues and problem with a corporate-wide perspective. Seeks to expand her/his knowledge about the A&P enterprise. Optimizes company performance by consistently and effectively executing company programs. Collaborates with other and readily shares ideas and best practices to help drive overall company success. Competes with external companies, not internal colleagues.
CORE COMPANY VALUES:
Think Customer First
Our Customers are the reason we’re in business. So we set priorities based on the question: “How will this serve them?” We owe Customers our very best efforts and do whatever it takes to keep them coming back by really listening to them, anticipating their needs, and by being first to offer them the best. We move on Customer needs and requests with a sense of urgency — at the “speed of retail.”
Dignity and Respect
We see and value the uniqueness of every individual and believe everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and respect. When we interact with Customers, we make them feel Welcome, Important, and Appreciated. For some of us, the “Customers” are Associates in our stores. We treat fellow Associates with the dignity and respect deserving of any member of the A&P family. When we see our colleagues treating people right, we praise in public. When we see behavior that misses the mark, we counsel in private and with kindness.
We believe that when you build the people, they will build the business. So we choose to invest in our people by continually providing opportunities for development. We encourage our Associates to continually seek out fresh ideas and approaches. We are a culture of “responsible learners” who identify our skill gaps and fill them in with self-learning. Building our knowledge base and sharing it with others will help our Company innovate and grow. Whenever possible, we promote from within.
People want to do business with those they can trust. To earn that trust, we are true to our word and keep our promises. We are honest to a fault. We tell the truth, even when it hurts. Because we hold ourselves to the highest ethical standard in our words and deeds, and we welcome scrutiny from our business partners, our shareholders, and the general public. We are committed to being an upstanding corporate citizen in the communities we serve.
Each of us makes a daily contribution to the success of our Company. In that sense, we are all owners. We show our pride in ownership by taking responsibility for all aspects of our work. We follow through completely and measure our results. Each Associate has the responsibility to look, see, and act to make our Company stronger. When we see a problem, we not only fix the problem — we fix the cause. We base our work on data, not feelings. We know our Customers and we know our numbers.
We work as a team, because while any individual idea or effort may be great, collaboration will only make it better. The most important job of any manager is to develop people to be experts and leaders themselves. This is how we will build strong teams. Company leaders keep an “open door” to suggestions and new ideas from Associates. It’s more fun to win. When a job is well done, we celebrate successes and share in the rewards — together.
We are a good neighbor. We make a positive mark on the environment we work in, so it’s a better place for our having been there. We stay connected to the community through charitable giving and service. We especially support programs that make a difference in the lives of children — our most precious resource. Doing good for the communities we serve is good for business. We’re committed to offering products, information, and incentives that help our Customers do the right thing for their families and the environment. Sustainability guides our long-range planning. We make business decisions that are designed to help our company prosper for another 150 years.
Once one of the biggest baggers of groceries in the US, The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (A&P) has been reduced to a...