VacancyID: VZ427314 (Include on all documents).
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise - "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" - by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to veterans?
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Every job at the VA impacts the Veterans that we serve. You can be part of that team, helping to make sure that our Veterans receive the top-quality care they deserve.
VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/ .
You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job.
You will be subject to a background/suitability investigation.
Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
Additional Duty Location Info:
1 vacancy - Richmond, VA
This position is located in the Cellular Neurobiology Laboratory at the Veterans Health Administration (VHA), Mid-Atlantic Health Care Network, VA Medical Center (VAMC) in Richmond, VA. You will serve as a biological laboratory technician and participate in all facets of a research program designed to define the molecular mechanisms of myelination and demyelinating disease. The work will involve parasitology and hose histological and serological techniques (antigens and other immunological reactions). Duties will include:
Work Schedule: Hours will be set between 7:00am-5:00pm Mon-Fri. Part-time, 31 hours per pay period .
- Performing general laboratory techniques
- Preparing solutions and reagents, macro- and micro- pipetting.
- Safely handling biologically hazardous materials.
- Utilizing specialized equipment such as water baths, balances, pH meters, centrifuges, and autoclaves.
- Processing samples associated with various animal experiments.
- Performing a variety of standardized and specialized procedures in the laboratory, such as flame photometry, Osmometry, radioimmunoassay, creatinines, para-aminohippurate, and insulin determinations.
- Performing a variety of extractions in order to prepare samples for procedures.
- Preparing solutions and utilizing a stereotaxic apparatus to inject solutions intracerebrally into defined regions of the central nervous system.
- Locating and annulating various vessels and tubules including femoral arteries and veins, renal arteries, veins, and ureters.
- Performing large and small animal surgery for acute experiments.
- Keeping records of experimental procedures so that they can be duplicated.
- Responding to experimental inquiries including physiological questions.
- Operating various recording equipment during experiments such as blood-flow meters, pressure recordings, EKG recordings, temperature recordings, etc.
- Recording and summarizing all data from experiments to collectively store values from each animal laboratory procedure.
- Converting units and algebraic type manipulations to accomplish various numerical conversions and data summarizations.
- Preparing and analyzing cultures of neural cells such as oligodendrocytes, atrocities, microglia, and Schwann cells.
- Performing sub cellular fractionation to obtain preparations which are enriched in axolemma, myelin, and myelin subfractions.
- Carrying out immunocytochemistry and histochemical procedures on appropriate sections of the Central Nervous System (CNS) and Peripheral Nervous System (PNS) tissue sections.
- Using cryostats to prepare frozen sections from regions of the CNS and PNS.
- Conducting perfusions and fixation of animals at the conclusion of experiments.
- Performing vivo experiments with mice and rats to assess their clinical and behavioral status before and after therapeutic treatments.
- Analyzing by Western blotting and real time polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Evaluating data obtained and compiling it in a clear coherent fashion to include statistical analysis.
- Operating personal computers and modifying existing research database programs for data entry and formatting purposes.
- Maintaining/ordering laboratory stock and supplies.
***RELOCATION EXPENSES AND/OR INCENTIVES ARE NOT AUTHORIZED***
Department of Veterans Affairs - 3 years ago
The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. It is...