Residential Dining Facilities serve delicious fresh meals in historic dining environment which are prepared using state of the art equipment and sustainable ingredients. Culinary positions prepare and oversee all foods served in Residential Colleges. Strict adherence to culinary fundamentals, selection of quality ingredients, and attractive presentations are the foundation of success. Reporting to the Manager of Residential Dining, the Assistant Residential Manager provides a Residential College with professionally trained hospitality leadership. The Assistant Manager embraces the supporting role to the Residential Manager, ranging from food production and menu-planning to operational reporting and the execution of catered events. |
1. Responsible for preparation, production and service of meals as described in predetermined menus and recipes; implement and monitor established policies and procedures relating to food quality and standards, service standards and sanitation.
2. Implement and monitor techniques and methods utilized in the preparation, processing of food to achieve established quality and standards, to prevent waste, to obtain efficiency and production levels.
3. Analyze menus and recipes, forecast meal counts to determine future raw food needs; submit requisition to procure meats, dairy, and bakery products, groceries, etc.; supervise receiving and storage activities, involving checking temperature and environmental conditions of storage area and assuring security.
4. Execute catered events by directing food processing and preparation and/or supervising and coordinating the service and staff of events.
5. Attend menu-planning sessions to exchange ideas, submit suggestions and give feedback; evaluate acceptance, production problems and relate to manager.
6. Maintain excellent customer relations with masters, faculty, students and staff.
7. Implement and monitor housekeeping, sanitary and safety rules and regulations.
8. Assist in the preparation of weekly operational recap statements to reflect manpower, food, and other related costs; ensure inventories are conducted and maintain support records.
9. Provide ongoing coaching, training, guidance and direction to staff members; maintain positive employee relations and resolve issues in a timely and proactive manner; responsible for performance management of staff; may be required to participate in and respond to grievances.
10. Complete weekly and monthly operating reports in order to monitor and analyze adherence to the financial goals of the dining hall.
11. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel/Restaurant Administration or a related field and one year of previous food production experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Extremely organized self-starter with proven ability to problem-solve and communicate well at all levels of the organization.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to simultaneously manage multiple functions. Ability to think independently, creatively, and utilize and develop resources in order to consistently deliver excellent service.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Excellent interpersonal and supervisory skills with employees, managers, and clients of all levels and backgrounds. Ability to work effectively in group environments and independently.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Well-developed oral, written, and computer skills with the ability to perform accounting and purchasing functions.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Proficient skills in planning and executing special events and the ability to manage wide-ranging employee functions.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Previous experience working in a union environment.
Formal Culinary training.
Required Licenses or Certifications
Certification in food protection program.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.