Under the direction of the Dean of Pre College and under the supervision of the Associate Dean of Basic Skills, to teach Basic communication courses levels 1-6, and to teach GED classes in an accelerated GED program; to participate in division and department activities; and to perform other duties as assigned. Position may require courses to be taught in the evening or late afternoons, which will include teaching in Career Pathway program models that will include team teaching, in an integrated ABE model with an occupational instructor, and/or teaching in non-traditional Career pathway ABE programs.
1. Must have a Bachelor’s degree with a minor in English, Communication, or with a minimum of 20 semester credits in any combination of English, Reading, Journalism, Communication, or Speech
2. Must have at least four (4) semesters of teaching experience in a communication level 1-6 courses.
3. Must have at least four (4) semesters of teaching experience in GED courses.
4. Must have experience in curriculum development.
5. Must meet State of Wisconsin Technical College System (WTCS) instruction certification requirements. WTCS Certification Requirements Summary
6. Must meet Higher Learning Commission (HLC) standards (if applicable).
7. Must be able to relate successfully with students and staff of diverse cultural, social and educational backgrounds.
8. Teaching – Must embrace and demonstrate the MATC Core Abilities and Standards of Teaching Excellence in development and delivery of instruction
MATC Core Abilities
• Communicate effectively
• Collaborate with others
• Respect diversity
• Demonstrate responsibility
• Think critically and creatively
• Utilize technology
• Apply math and science
• Demonstrate environmental responsibility
• Embrace change
Standards of Teaching Excellence
• Understanding Students and Fostering Student Success
• Classroom Management
• Content Mastery and Currency
• Teaching Methodology
• Assessment of Student Learning
• Professional Contributions
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
1. Ability to lift 50 pounds with or without accommodation
2. Ability to sit or stand for class duration with or without accommodation
ESSENTIAL TECHNOLOGY :
1. Email - Experience with an Email system (GroupWise, Outlook, Gmail…)
2. Telephone - Experience with a voice mail system
3. Computer - Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
SUPPORTIVE TECHNOLOGY :
Experience with or willingness to learn the following supportive technologies:
1. Online Information Management Systems - Experience with INFOnline or other online information management systems used for student advising, student programs, grading, class schedules and rosters
2. Blackboard - Experience with Blackboard or other web-based course - management systems
3. Technology-based Instruction - Experience with technology-based instructional delivery systems including SMART symposium, interactive touch screen monitors, LCD projectors, DVD players and/or other classroom technology
4. Emerging Technologies - Experience with emerging technologies (eg. social networking applications)
5. (Optional) Distance Learning Instruction - Experience with on-line, two-way video, ITV, and other methods of distance learning instruction
Salary is based upon education and experience. A Master’s degree and three years of related experience would gross an approximate beginning salary of $38.99 hourly.
Milwaukee Area Technical College - 15 months ago
Milwaukee Area Technical College (MATC) is not just for techies. The two-year college offers about 200 degree, diploma, certificate, and...