About the Organization
Ronald McDonald House at Stanford (RMHS) in Palo Alto, California, creates a home-away-from home and supportive community for families with life-threatening illnesses receiving specialized treatment at local hospitals. Established in 1979, RMHS is at a key inflection point as it grows from a budget of $2.5 million to $4.5 million and completes the final third of its highly successful $36.5 million capital campaign. By 2014, the organization will build a new phase of its residential program, triple the number of families it serves, and create a sustainable path to becoming the largest Ronald McDonald House in the world.
About the Position
The Chief Development Officer will be a crucial member of the three-person RMHS leadership team and responsible for the oversight, planning, and execution of a comprehensive annual development program growing from its current level of $2.5 million to $4.5 million by 2014, as well as the successful completion of the $36.5M expansion campaign. Reporting to the CEO, the Chief Development Officer will build on the existing success and momentum of RMHS fundraising efforts, lead the development staff and Board of Directors to raise the support required to fund RMHS on an annual basis, and help guide the organization as it pivots from a largely events-based development program to an added emphasis on its existing successful major donor efforts.
- Create and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan that includes individual, foundation, corporate and special event contributions
- Build and lead a high-performing 7-member development team, including Major Gifts Officer, Donor Relations Manager, Event and Community Relations Manager, Communications Manager, Data Coordinator, and Development Intern
- Develop a strategy for donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship
- Build high-level, nuanced, and cultivation-focused relationships and make direct gift solicitations
- More fully utilize technology to further enhance fundraising efforts
- Execute and improve existing, high value initiatives, including direct-mail campaigns
- Develop a comprehensive private and corporate foundation plan
- In partnership with the CEO, enhance Board engagement in donor identification, cultivation and fundraising activities
- Provide oversight for annual gala ( Denim to Diamonds ), golf tournament ( Randy Cross Invitational ) and other high profile fundraising events (e.g. Team RMH half marathon)
- Support Board committees, event chairs and committees, volunteers, and outside consultants
- Evangelize the mission of RMHS and inspire donor participation on every level by promoting RMHS in the community, outreach to the media, and conducting site tours
- Track and evaluate all fund development activities and provide bi-monthly reports to the Board of Directors, advising of areas of concerns and providing strategies to accomplish goals
- Seven or more years of progressive fundraising, executive-level managerial, or related experience (or equivalent)
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Broad knowledge and experience in all aspects of fundraising
- Expertise in managing complex fundraising events
- Proven track record of successful personnel and organizational management
- Understanding of detailed donor and prospect segmentation for multi-phase direct mail campaigns
- Demonstrated success in major gift solicitations from $25,000 to $1,000,000+
- Detailed knowledge of and experience with Bay Area funding community preferred
- Excellent management experience, business acumen, judgment and integrity Computer expertise in MS Office suite of products, social media, as well as donor management software (e.g. Raiser’s Edge and Exceed)
- Strategic and data-driven thinker with excellent analytical skills and ability to identify and respond to issues/opportunities in a timely manner
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while keeping a cool and controlled demeanor
- Demonstrable skill in writing effective business correspondence and solicitation materials
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills with confidence-inspiring attitude
- Excellent interpersonal skills to establish cooperative, tactful, effective and harmonious working relationships with co-workers, donors, committee members, volunteers, and the public
- Ability to maintain the highest level of discretion and confidentiality with sensitive donor information
- Comfort interacting with families from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds within a semi-medical environment.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive base salary and benefits, commensurate with experience, as well as potential for performance-related bonuses.
How to Apply
Schaffer&Combs has been retained to help RMHS with this search. Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with RMHS Chief Development Officer in the subject line. RMHS is looking to fill this position quickly, and candidates will be reviewed as they apply.
Schaffer&Combs solves problems and creates growth for mission-driven organizations that possess the vision and ambition to make genuine change. More information on our services can be found at www.schaffercombs.com .
OpportunityKnocks.org - 20 months ago