Junior Network Engineer (Job Number: 319790)
SAIC is looking for a Junior Network Engineer to join our Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC) team in Washington, DC.
Junior Network Engineers on our team provide O&M support for PBGC’s Network Infrastructure that provides data, voice, and video services for the PBGC’s IT Enterprise infrastructure which includes COOP/DR sites and several widely dispersed remote offices. This is a junior network engineer position that will be responsible for the coordination, installation, testing, and technical tasks in support of the local and wide area network systems and participates in developing and implementing network security procedures and network management plans.
We are seeking a highly self-motivated and knowledgeable junior network engineer to perform the following duties:
- Assists the Senior Network Engineer with maintaining and configuring the local and wide area networks
- Daily monitoring network security vulnerabilities, equipment failures, bandwidth and throughput; performs diagnostics, and reports systems faults to the Senior Network Engineer.
- Responsible for installation, administration, and testing of routers, switches, cabling, and other related network components/equipment under the guidance of the Senior Network Engineer
- Provides support to NOC personnel during responses to network outages; troubleshoots network failures and errors; and diagnoses, isolates, and resolves routine to moderately complex network related problems ensuring timely results and minimal disruption of operations and report findings to the Senior Network Engineer
- Assists the Senior Network Engineer with developing, monitoring, and implementing network security procedures for safeguarding all networking systems
- Maintains records of work completed and in-progress; and updates network documentation to record installations, upgrades, configurations, etc.
- Manages network management tools and assists the Senior Network Engineer in preparing network status reports
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree plus two years of related IT and network engineering experience or 6 years of experience without a degree.
SECURITY CLEARANCE: All candidates for consideration must be eligible to obtain a US public trust clearance.
REQUIRED SKILLS: The successful candidate must have significant familiarity with IT infrastructures, including a variety of networks, servers, and databases. Must have strong communication skills and a solid understanding of networking concepts.
DESIRED SKILLS: Knowledge of Cisco ASA, Juniper, IPsec VPN, tunnels, VoIP, SAN.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Strong fundamental knowledge of LAN/WAN, OSI Model, TCP/IP stack, IP subnetting, VPN, SNMP
- Familiar with SNMP-based NMS tools (i.e. HP OpenView, Solarwinds Orion)
- Experience configuring VLAN, trunking, STP, OSPF, ACL, port security, EtherChannel
- Experience configuring Cisco Catalyst Switch Series and Integrate Service Routers
- Experience upgrading Cisco IOS on switches and routers
- Troubleshooting LAN and WAN
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
SAIC is a FORTUNE 500® scientific, engineering, and technology applications company that uses its deep domain knowledge to solve problems of vital importance to the nation and the world, in national security, energy & environment, health and cybersecurity. The company's approximately 41,000 employees serve customers in the U.S. Department of Defense, the intelligence community, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, other U.S. Government civil agencies and selected commercial markets. Headquartered in McLean, Va., SAIC had annual revenues of approximately $10.6 billion for its fiscal year ended January 31, 2012. For more information, visit www.saic.com. SAIC: From Science to Solutions®
Job Posting: Dec 24, 2012, 12:16:30 PM
Primary Location: United States-DC-WASHINGTON
Clearance Level Must Currently Possess: None
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: Public Trust
Potential for Teleworking: No
Shift: Day Job
SAIC - 21 months ago
SAIC, Inc. is a provider of scientific, engineering, systems integration and technical services and solutions to all branches of the United...