LOCATION OF POSITION
Thomas B. Finan Center, Cumberland, MD
Main Purpose of Job
The main purpose of this position is to evaluate for, plan, implement, and document specific recreational therapy services for patients who have acute and chronic psychiatric conditions. Job duties include: evaluating psychiatric patients with respect to psychosocial, recreational and leisure skills; formulating Therapeutic Recreation (TR) based on TR evaluations performed and treatment team assessments; participating in multidisciplinary treatment planning meetings; and, implementing individual and group Therapeutic Recreation in accordance with established TR treatment plans and individual treatment plans developed by the treatment team.
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
Education: Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in therapeutic recreation or recreation with a major in therapeutic recreation from an accredited college or university.
1. Current certification as a Therapeutic Recreator from the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification may be substituted for the education requirements.
2. Experience as a professional therapeutic recreator, under the supervision of a licensed Occupational Therapist, licensed Physical Therapist or certified Activity Therapist, which included the responsibility for clients’ assessments and the planning, implementation and evaluation of clients’ recreation therapy treatment in a mental health or developmental disability setting may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis. Experience assisting in these responsibilities will not be accepted as qualifying experience.
DESIRED OR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
Current certification as a Therapeutic Recreator from the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification is preferred. A copy of certification must accompany your application.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland
2. Employees in some positions may be required to operate vehicles which require a specific motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
3. Employees in this classification may be required to successfully complete cardiopulmonary resuscitation training and maintain current certification.
4. Employees in positions at facilities with a swimming pool may be required to obtain Red Cross instruction and certification in Life Saving and Water Safety prior to permanent appointment.
Employees in this classification are subject to call-in and, therefore, will be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where they can be reached.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be evaluated. The evaluation may be a rating of your application based on your education, training and experience as they relate to the requirements of the position. Therefore, it is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application. Please report all related education, experience, dates and hours of work. For education obtained outside the U.S., a copy of the equivalent American education as determined by a foreign credential evaluation service must accompany the application. All information concerning your qualifications must be submitted by the closing date. We will not consider information submitted after this date. Applicants certified to list will receive eligibility for a period of one (1) year.
Eligibility may be extended beyond one (1) year period. For Recorded Job Information Call: 410-767-6018.
Online applications are highly recommended, however the paper application may be submitted to DHMH, Recruitment and Selection Division, 201 W. Preston St., Room 114-B, Baltimore, MD 21201. The paper application must be received by 5 pm, close of business, on the closing date for the recruitment, no postmarks will be accepted.
Incorrect application forms will not be accepted.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: (410) 767-1251 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
The incumbent in this position is a member of a covered bargaining unit and will be required to pay a bi-weekly service fee to the exclusive representative of the bargaining unit.
STATE OF MARYLAND BENEFITS
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.
If you need to submit additional information, the preferred method is to upload. If unable to upload, please fax requested information only to 410-333-5689.
MSDE is a national leader in the evaluation of early childhood learning, establishing an annual evaluation of what entering kindergartners...