February 2013 – May 2013 (flexible), Washington, DC
The Center for International Private Enterprise (CIPE) is a non-profit affiliate of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that promotes market-oriented reform and democratic development around the world. It is one of the core institutes of the National Endowment for Democracy. CIPE works with local private-sector partners to strengthen and develop economic and political institutions through policy advocacy. Typical programs are directed at expanding private-sector participation in policymaking, supporting entrepreneurship, and building the capacity of business associations.
This visiting scholar position is an opportunity to gain experience while providing support to CIPE’s Latin America and the Caribbean Department.
Candidates should be enthusiastic about the role the private sector plays in development and democracy, particularly pertaining to Latin America and the Caribbean.. A graduate student is preferred. Strong writing and editing skills in Spanish are required. Experience in social media, marketing, and communications is desired.
- Help generate content for the Perspectiva website, an interactive online medium that creates a space for discussion and information-sharing regarding current economic and political issues that affect Latin America.
- Recruit potential contributing authors to the website from the local and international LAC community.
- Assist Perspectiva staff in updating and maintaining their social media presence, including drawing new users to the site. Promote interaction on Perspectiva’s website.
- Maintain weekly, if not daily, contact with members of CIPE’s partner network, and daily contact with a Colombia-based web editor to facilitate CIPE’s engagement in the website.
- Collect usage statistics for Perspectiva ’s website and social media accounts and relay information to CIPE’s LAC team weekly.
- Keep the LAC staff abreast of Perspectiva activities and provide insightful feedback on the website platform and make suggestions on how to improve it.
- In conjunction with program staff, coordinate events hosted by the LAC Department.
- Conduct research on relevant economic and political issues in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Attend local events and monitor blogs, reports, and news regarding topics of interest to CIPE’s LAC team and report back.
- Assist the Latin America and Caribbean team as required, including but not limited to: translation, reviewing partner reports, mass mailings, briefings on local events, etc..
The position entails maximum 20 hours per week at CIPE’s headquarters in Washington, DC; exact days and hours are negotiable. A stipend will be paid to the visiting scholar.
Please send a cover letter, résumé, and brief writing sample (in Spanish) to email@example.com (subject line: LAST NAME-LAC Scholar).
No phone calls please.
Center for International Private Enterprise - 20 months ago