Under limited supervision, provides leadership and coordination in the management of the dispute resolution process for special education. Duties include, but are not limited to, coordinating the due process hearing requests, mediation process, and formal complaint process guaranteed to parents of students with disabilities by the Individual with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA); supervising staff assigned to dispute resolution unit to ensure timely and accurate implementation of the requirements to comply with federal regulations; managing contracts and training for contractors assisting the Georgia Department of Education with dispute resolution activities; analyzing dispute resolution data and implementation of activities to improve positive outcome for settling disputes; overseeing data management and federally-required reporting; and communicating correct and accurate interpretation of federal laws, regulations, instructions, and policies to stakeholders. Note: Some state-wide travel is required.
Completion of a law degree and license to practice law in the State of Georgia and some relevant legal experience with special education law OR reciprocity with the bar association of another state and two years of relevant legal experience with special education law.
• Three or more years of professional experience in a management or administrative role at a federal agency, state agency, local education agency, non-profit or for profit organization, and/or school system
• Three or more years legal experience in special education law
• Three or more years of experience successfully managing and leading subordinate staff
• Experience drafting and reviewing legislation, regulations, or policies
• Knowledge of state and federal special education guidelines, including the IDEA and the Elementary and Secondary Education Act
• Ability to work with a variety of stakeholders
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
Pay grade 19 – Annual salary range $52,172.55 (minimum) to $91,137.94 (maximum) commensurate with current employment and relevant education/training and work experience, and available funding. Benefit options include life, disability, dental and health insurance, annual/sick leave, and Employees’ Retirement or Teachers’ Retirement.
Georgia Department of Education - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard