The Washington Post is looking for a seasoned, entrepreneurial, multimedia sales and marketing leader who will develop innovative solutions that drive top-line revenue and help us shape our sales and digital business model for years to come.
More than a skillful sales and marketing executive, you have deep digital experience and are a key member of the executive leadership team that oversees hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, encompassing digital, print, and live media; you understand the value of all media platforms and how they interrelate. You can manage a complex business that sits at the forefront of sales and digital strategy and are skillful at building digital business models for the future. Equally important, you can uncover and develop revenue opportunities that maximize the interplay of a B2B and B2C organization. In partnership with the VP, Digital Product Development & CIO, you shape successful products across multiple platforms and implement solutions that focus on revenue generation, digital strategy, pricing, packaging, and consumer marketing. You possess an innate sense of where the money is, and know how to shape and sell products that add materially to our revenue-generating engine. You are an agile, ambidextrous leader with significant succession potential – comfortable with high-dollar, B2B client relations and creating new businesses as well as data analysis and the human side of business. You have unparalleled business and financial acumen that enable you to distinguish between revenue opportunities that will yield material results from those that hold little promise of success. You possess an entrepreneurial yet disciplined orientation to managing complex and evolving businesses. You make success criteria visible by establishing customer-focused metrics, and hold stakeholders accountable to those metrics with discipline and diplomacy. Talented, first-class people want to work for you; you can inspire and motivate while also instilling discipline and focus toward achieving goals; you have deep connections to sales-focused talent spanning multiple industries and can attract highly skilled people and leadership to The Post. You are a highly collaborative leader who can cultivate strong relationships with peer executives who lead other, equally complex aspects of the business, including the Newsroom, Circulation, Production, Finance and Technology.
The VP & Chief Revenue Officer for The Washington Post will lead the entire digital, print, conferences sales, and new revenue generation functions. Reporting to the President and working directly with the CEO and executive leadership team, this crucial role has sole ownership for all Washington Post Media print, digital and non-subscription based revenue functions. This role serves as a trusted advisor to and member of the senior management team and plays a key role in directing the company towards opportunities that yield positive financial results.
Areas of Influence
- At least 10 years of revenue generation, digital business development, and strategic leadership experience.
- Extensive experience with digital strategy, pricing, product development, complex sales strategies, negotiations, B2B and B2C sales tactics.
- Proven success in setting the strategic direction of a large, complex sales and marketing organization that aligns with short- and long-term company goals, and executing with focus and discipline to exceed targets.
- Strong analytical and financial acumen, successfully applied to distinguish between revenue opportunities that can yield material profitability within two to three years from those that cannot.
- Proven success in setting and executing against sales and operational plans and creating short and long-term strategies that align with business goals.
- Proven success in creating products across multiple platforms, implementing marketing strategies and finding ways to generate revenue from new and existing products.
- Proven success with driving results in multiple areas of the business that reduce costs and increase efficiency while preserving mass-market penetration.
- Clear and unquestionable ability to lead, motivate, and inspire a large and talented digital, print and conferences sales and marketing force.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field; MBA and previous media experience preferred.
- Establishing revenue streams, setting revenue targets and annual budgets to make strategic decisions regarding resource allocation and investments.
- Setting the strategic direction for The Post to drive revenue, reduce costs, create extraordinary customer experiences, and increase market share.
- Leading the digital and print sales, marketing, and sales operations teams for The Washington Post.
- Overseeing the quality of products across digital, print and live media; identifying areas that may hold promise for improving revenue results and developing solutions to address those needs.
- Acquiring, developing, and retaining talent throughout the sales organization to create a nimble, responsive, and results-driven culture.
Since it first began publication more than 130 years ago, The Washington Post has grown into one of the most storied and respected news organizations in the world. A subsidiary of The Washington Post Company, today’s Post is the indispensable guide to Washington. In print, we enjoy the highest penetration of any major metropolitan newspaper in the United States. On the web, we have the third largest news website with 17 million unique visitors each month, and have recently launched a celebrated news app for the iPad. We serve Washington in all media, on any platform, including paid products, events, and tailored content.
More broadly, The Washington Post Company delivers quality products to today’s students, readers, and viewers. What unites our company is the immediacy of our products and services, created by teachers and tutors at Kaplan; reporters and editors at our media properties; and associates at Cable ONE.
We encourage qualified candidates to submit cover letters and resumes to Leatrice Buck: firstname.lastname@example.org ; direct line: 202-334-7117.
Executive & General Management
One of the world’s most trusted media organizations, The Washington Post provides millions of people with everything they need to...