INDIAN HEALTH SERVICE IS CURRENTLY RECRUITING PRACTICAL NURSES
Title 38 Salary and Hiring Incentives Available and Federal Benefits Package
Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of Indigenous Americans! At IHS you can make a difference in the lives of Native Americans and Alaska Natives around the Country.
These vacancies are being filled through the Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority. The following is applicable: all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be made available to the Selecting Official for consideration. Hiring preference will be given to qualified Native American and Alaska Native applicants, but Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applications do not apply to these vacancies.
A severe Government-wide shortage of candidates exists and/or a critical hiring need is present for this occupation as determined by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). Therefore, these Federal positions are also being filled through OPMs Government-wide Direct Hire Authority (DHA). This flexible hiring authority has been authorized by the Chief Human Capital Officer Act of 2002 (Title XIII of the Homeland Security Act and codified at 5 U.S.C. § 3304). If utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: a vacancy is established, applicants who are U.S. citizens and meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration, and the rule of three, Veterans preference, & traditional rating/ranking of applicants do not apply to the Direct Hire process (Indian Preference does apply).
INDIAN PREFERENCE POLICY:
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is required by law to give absolute preference Indian applicants and employees who are qualified and suitable for Federal employment. Therefore, IHS is committed to affording employment preference to American Indian and Alaska Native candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interiors definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual, Part 7, Chapter 3. In other than above, IHS is also committed to achieving full and equal opportunity without discrimination because of race, religion, color, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, and sexual orientation.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
This position is OPEN-UNTIL-FILLED:
1st Closing Date: 5/14/2013
2nd Closing Date: 5/29/2013
3rd Closing Date: 6/12/2013
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Billings Area Indian Health Service, Crow Service Unit (CSU), Indian Health Center: Crow Agency, MT United States 1 vacancy
POSITION DETAILS: >
Salary range: $31,315.00 - $45,376.00 (Annually )
Promotion potential: GS-06
Travel Required: Yes; occasional
Supervisory/Managerial Position: No
Relocation Expenses Paid: Not Paid: travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the employee.
Is position covered by PL 101-630?: Yes
Is drug testing required?: No
Is government housing available?: No
Is this a bargaining unit position?: Yes
Possible Overtime? Nights/Weekends/Holidays? Rotating Shifts?: Yes
Who may apply:
Any U.S. Citizen.
***This position is also being announced under Announcement # IHS-13-BI-874221-ESEP/MP for those who want to be considered under Merit Promotion Plan/Excepted Service Examining Plan. If you wish to be considered all hiring plans you must submit an application to both job opportunity announcements.***
- visit firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on Who May Apply
Position subject to background investigation.
As part of the pre-employment process, fingerprint checks are required.
If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
Must be a U.S. Citizen DUTIES: Back to top
Please ensure you answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you losing consideration for the job.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: Back to top
- Provides age specific nursing care services to ambulatory care clinics, general medical, surgical, pediatrics, obstetrics/gynecology, neonatal, intensive care/critical care and emergency room patients. (Prepares and administers following physician order for medication both orally and by intramuscular injection, performs catheterization, changes surgical dressings, suctioning and irrigates body orifices. Triage and screens by obtaining vital signs, gross and subtle observations and facts regarding patient treatment and progress; documents assessment on patient record. Prepares patients for special laboratory tests, examinations, and treatments. Sets up and manages specialized equipment such as suction, oxygen, EKG and a variety of drainage tubes; labels tissue/specimens.)
- Provides patient and family education. (medication use, activities, diet, self-care and assists with special to simple tests and procedures)
- Uses Electronic Health Record to record patient data and enter nursing notes on patient treatment provided during visit.
Licensure: Candidates must be currently licensed to practice as practical or vocational nurses in a State or territory of the United States or the District of Columbia or must have applied for a license to practice. Applications of candidates possessing a license must be accompanied by a certified or photostatic copy of the license, a notarized statement attesting to the fact, or a citation of the license number and State issuing it. Non-licensed candidates who have completed their training may be appointed subject to obtaining the required license during the probationary period. Those not licensed must furnish the date on which they applied for a license and the jurisdiction involved. No person appointed pending licensure may be retained beyond six (6) months if licensure/registration has not been attained.
Applicants who meet the licensure requirement are considered fully qualified for GS-3.
Additional Requirements for Grades GS-4 and Above:
Qualifying experience includes nursing care work in a hospital, outpatient clinic, nursing home, or other supervised medical, nursing, or patient care facility that provided a practical knowledge of human body structure and sterile techniques and procedures, performing such duties as:
Providing pre- and post-operative patient care.
Observing, recording, and reporting changes in behavior of mentally ill patients.
Providing reassurance and encouragement to mentally ill patients.
Assisting surgeons and registered nurses in operating room activities, including passing instruments, maintaining sterile conditions, and draping and positioning patients.
Setting up and operating special medical equipment and apparatus.
For GS-5: One (1 ) year of nursing experience at the GS-4 grade level is required.
Specialized Experience: For GS-05 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-04) that included duties such as:
observe patients and keeps the nurse informed of changes in the patient's vital signs. Collects urine, stool and sputum specimens for laboratory tests. Maintains accurate fluid intake and output records. Lifts and turns patients. Passes medications both orally and by intramuscular injection. Performs catheterizations, changes surgical dressings, sets up and gives patients respiratory therapy treatment, performs suctioning, and irrigates body orifices. Monitors and maintains intravenous fluids, changes intravenous tubing, and discontinues intravenous fluids if difficulties develop. Recognizes emergency situations and functions calmly and efficiently in supplying nurses and doctors with the crash cart and requested supplies and materials. Records pertinent information in the patient's chart and supplies information for the patient's nursing care plan.
For GS-6: One (1) year of nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 grade level is required.
Specialized Experience: For GS-06 level, you must have one year of experience (equivalent to the GS-05) that included duties such as:
Provide direct patient care of all ages: dressing changes, whirlpool, insertion of urinary catheters, administering medications including immunizations, chest percussion and drainage, and nebulizer treatments. Collect data on the health status of the patient using established assessment skills to identify immediate health care/maintenance and nursing needs. Assesses changes in patients conditions and implements appropriate interventions and/or reports changes to the supervising registered nurse. Provides instruction to patients on basic use of equipment, collection of lab specimens, etc. and in accordance with any nursing or multi-disciplinary educational plans. Documents observations, measurements, nursing interventions and outcomes in the medical records using approved forms and formats. Maintains a safe, clean work and patient care environment through appropriate implementation or infection control and safety policies and procedures and reporting unsafe conditions when they occur. Identify and respond appropriately as a member of the health care team to emergencies including internal and external disasters.
You must provide the required information during the application process;
1. Applicable Supporting Documentation (see Required documents section in this announcement for more details)
2. All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
- Cover Letter
- Other Veterans Document
These vacancies are being filled through the Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hire Authority. The following is applicable: all applicants who meet the basic qualification requirements will be forwarded to the Selecting Official for consideration. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applications do not apply to this vacancy.
BENEFITS: Back to top
The Federal Government offers a comprehensive benefits package. Explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees at https://my.usajobs.gov/ResourceCenter/Index/Interactive/Benefits . OTHER INFORMATION:
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
SUITABILITY, CLEARANCE, & REQUIREMENTS:
- IF you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire (you will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints). Also, a security questionnaire must be completed before or on the date of hire. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. IF you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. IF you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Before hiring can be made final, selectee will be required to complete a Declaration of Federal Employment - Optional Form 306 to determine your suitability for Federal Employment, and to certify the accuracy of all the information in your application. Persons making false statements in any part of the application may not be hired; or fired after employment starts; or may be fined.
- Before hiring can be made final, selectee will also be required to complete an Addendum to the Declaration of Federal Employment - Optional Form 306. Under P.L. 101-630 Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act, persons who have been arrested for or charged with a crime involving a child, or violent crime against a person, may not be eligible for employment with IHS.
OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
- Selectee will be required to be immunized against Measles and Rubella and provide documentation prior to or at the time of their start date. Special consideration may be allowed to individuals who are allergic to a component of the vaccine or are currently pregnant. Selectee must have documented immunity to Rubella and Measles.
- Males over the age of 18, and born after December 31, 1959, are required to be registered with the Selective Service System (or have an exemption) in order to be eligible for employment with the Federal Government.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- The incumbent may be required to travel and must possess a valid drivers license.
Verification of Indian Preference: Applicants who wish to receive Indian Preference MUST submit the BIA Form 4432, Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in BIA and IHS Only . This certifies the applicant an Indian as defined by the Indian Health Manual Chapter 7, Part 3. Indian Preference will not be given unless a proper BIA Form 4432 is attached to the application/resume.
All information provided by the candidate will be verified, reference checks will be conducted from current and past supervisors on the tentative selectee.
The law prohibits public officials from appointing, promoting, or recommending their relatives.
Federal annuitants (military and civilian) may have their salaries reduced. All employees must pay any valid delinquent debt or the agency may garnish their salary.
Candidates must meet qualification requirements, licensure requirements (possess and maintain a current, valid, active State license/registration as a Physician), performance requirements, citizenship and suitability requirements, and any other eligibility requirements before appointment.
Selectee may be required to serve a one year probationary period.
After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position.
The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free HOW TO APPLY: Back to top
How to Apply:
You MUST provide the required documents listed below during the application process. IF any of the following are missing when the announcement closes we will deem your application incomplete:
___ Resume -You are encouraged to use the USAJobs online resume builder to ensure that all required information is in your resume. If you use your own résumé, curriculum vitae, or any other written form you choose then you must describe your job-related qualifications that includes hours worked per week, month and year of employment.
If you choose to submit resume or other application format, you should include the following information:
Announcement number, title, and grade(s) of the job for which you are applying and duty station(s) interested in.
Full name, mailing address (with zip codes), day and evening phone numbers (include area codes), and e-mail address (if any), Country of citizenship
- High School (name, city, and state) and date of diploma or GED
- College and/or universities (name, city, and state, major, type and year of degrees received)
- Copies of college transcripts, if applicable.
Give the following for your paid and non-paid work experience related to the job for which you are applying:
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS : Give dates but do not send documents unless requested:
- Organization and Job title (if Federal, please indicate series and grade & submit SF-50)
- Duties and accomplishments
- Supervisors name, address, and phone number
- Starting and ending dates (month and year) and average hours worked per week
***If your resume or application does not provide all the information we request, you may lose consideration for a job.***
- Job related training courses (title and year) and skills
- Job related certificates and licenses (if you are a licensed medical professional, submit copy of license to practice)
- Honors, awards, and special accomplishments, for example, publications, memberships, in professional or honor societies, leadership activities, public speaking, and performance awards.
WHERE TO APPLY
submit applications to:
Indian Health Service
PO Box 36600
Billings, MT 59107
Attn: BERNICE HUGS or
e-mail to: email@example.com or fax to: 406-247-7251
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please notify the Human Resources Office, Bernice Hugs, 406-247-7216, firstname.lastname@example.org . "The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis." REQUIRED DOCUMENTS:
You must provide the required information during the application process; if any of the following are missing when the announcement closes your application may be considered incomplete:
1. Completed Resume
2. Copy of current License
3. BIA 4432 (if claiming Indian Preference)
4. SF-50 Notification of Personnel Action (current or former federal employees who wish to be considered under direct hire.)
Indian Health Service - 23 months ago
Indian Health Service's mission is to provide health care and related services for American Indian and Alaska Natives, as well as their...