This position provides direction and leadership to the Academic Counselor and Academic Enrollment Specialist staff and manages staff who provide students academic counseling from new student enrollment through student graduation. This position is responsible for leadership and administration of day-to-day operations associated with the management of the advising program, oversees advisement process, supervises and assigns Academic Counselor and Academic Enrollment Specialist workloads and tasks, prepares periodic and ad hoc reports, actively participates in enrollment management activities, and provides Academic Counselor and Academic Enrollment Specialist training. The Academic Supervisor also works closely with staff working with new applicants, and who assist in securing the needed information for the admission process.
The incumbent must assure that the EDMC goals of Quality - deliver exceptional student experiences and continuously improve outcomes; Community - cultivate outstanding reputations with our key audiences; Growth - efficiently serve as many students as possible who posses the ability and desire to succeed; and the EDMC Values of Student Success, Integrity, Innovation, and Excellence, are evident when carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements:
- Lead the academic team and provide on-going training to the team in the area of advising, persistence, registered credits, and student success. Responsible for achieving student persistence targets. Work effectively with leaders and members of the Graduation Team to achieve shared goals.
- Ensure that Academic Counselors monitor student success through grades and online classroom activity. Act as a point of reference or subject matter expert for any questions as well as be able to direct their work and evaluate their current student caseload.
- Ensure staff counsel students facing academic challenges and/or personal obstacles. Ensure staff effectively onboard new students in order to drive student persistence and success through effective transition to the online education environment. Ensure staff efficiently and accurately schedule new students, continuing students, re-entry students, and transfer students.
- Ensure staff efficiently and accurately re-schedule students based on student request, failed classes, test results, or transfer credit changes. Ensure staff manage, inform, and counsel students on degree progress focused on graduation in the shortest time possible for the student. Ensure that staff complete voice-to-voice contact at least weekly for first 18 weeks of student enrollment and as needed thereafter. Ensure staff are identifying students at-risk for academic failure, and that staff develop and implement strategies to drive student success. Ensure staff manage and communicate effectively academic probation, academic suspension, and satisfactory academic progress policies. Ensure staff are trained and can assist students in filing academic, financial, and/or medical appeals.
- As needed, communicate with students effectively through both routine and non-routine email and phone contact. Respond to student inbound communication within established timeframes.
- Ensure AES meet with new student applicants on the phone to review the enrollment process. This includes reviewing the Basis of Admission & Transfer of Credit requirements, review additional testing requirements, and oversee the request and submission process of official transcripts.
- Responsible for Academic Enrollment Specialists completing the overall process for student’s Basis of Admission, including ensuring staff obtain student’s high school transcript/proof of graduation, and any other documentation required for Final Acceptance into the student’s program of study.
- Ensure staff review, assist in obtaining, and discuss any Advanced Standing options with the student, including Transfer of Credit, Life Credit, and other testing options as available. Oversee all processes to completion, and ensures staff discuss the results with the student. Ensures staff complete unofficial Transfer of Credit reviews when applicable.
- Complete annual performance review for all assigned subordinate staff within established timeframes and deadlines. Complete and implements performance improvement plans for assigned staff as necessary.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Leaders and members of the graduation team, students, employees of other edmc ohe departments, department director
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Education, Counseling or related field required, Masters Degree preferred.
- Three to five years experience working in an academic advising role in a field relevant to School’s programs, preferably in a post secondary institution.
- At least one year of prior supervisory experience in an academic advising capacity in a post secondary institution.
- 1-2 years of customer service experience desired.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Strong interpersonal skills with student and staff populations.
- Superior organization, prioritization, and self-motivation skills.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite, and database usage.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students and staff.
- Ability to create and act on academic reports and forecasts.
- Ability to interact effectively as either a leader or as a member of a team and work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to listen to students and to understand and respond positively to their requests.
- Ability to adapt to changing assignments and multiple priorities.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.
Work Environment & Notice
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
The Art Institute of York- Pennsylvania
- 2 years ago - save job