You’ll Find It With Us!
Airgas USA, LLC is the nation’s largest distributor of industrial, medical and specialty gases, welding supplies and related safety products. It is also the largest manufacturer of nitrous oxide in the U.S., and a leading supplier of dry ice. With nearly 1,200 locations and approximately 15,000 employees nationwide Airgas is uniquely positioned to serve our diversified customer base.
The West Region of Airgas USA, LLC, (responsible for Southern California/Southern Nevada/Arizona/Hawaii) is seeking an entry level Production Operator, Level I at our San Diego, CA facility. This position will report directly to the plant Operations Manager.
JOB SUMMARY: The Production Operator will manually and/or with the aid of material handling equipment move industrial gas cylinders to different areas of the plant and loads/unloads cylinders from delivery trucks.
• Safely operate forklift, hand-truck, pallet-jack, chain hoist, etc. to load/unload compressed and liquid industrial gas cylinders to and from delivery trucks to filling and storage areas.
• May load cylinders onto vehicles manually or with the aid of material handling equipment.
• Transfer plant cylinders to different areas within the facility using a forklift.
• Identify and sort cylinders for efficient refilling and handling.
• Notify supervisor if normal truck loading duties cannot be accomplished for any reason.
• Replace pallet straps as necessary.
• Comply with all company safety policies and procedures.
• Attend safety meetings.
• Complete load sheets accurately and distribute to drivers at the end of shift.
• Maintain a clean, safe and orderly plant appearance.
• Report any equipment or facility defect(s) to supervisor.
• Comply with all Airgas safety rules and company policies.
• Ensure any accident or injury is promptly reported.
• Wear proper PPE in work area at all time.
• Must be able to operate in a drug-free workplace.
•This position is governed by a Collective Bargaining Agreement. Candidate must be willing to join the local Union upon hiring.
• Perform cylinder cleaning, painting and maintenance as needed.
• Additional duties as required: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards for this position. Incumbents are expected to follow any other reasonable instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by their supervisor. Performance of this job in a safe manner and in keeping with established Airgas policies is a condition of employment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
• Must be safety conscience and possess a desire to work safely.
• High school diploma or the equivalent.
• Minimum one (1) year related experience and/or training preferred.
• Prior forklift operating experience is necessary, certification preferred.
• Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, MSDS, and procedure manuals.
• Possess basic math skills – addition and subtraction.
• Possess basic writing skills – spelling and punctuation, legible letters and numbers.
• Able to perform heavy physical work - routinely pushing pulling more than 125 lbs with prolonged standing and walking.
• Able to work safely and efficiently in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines.
• Detailed-oriented with good organizational skills.
• Must be able to work occasional overtime to meet operational deadlines.
• Team player attitude with ability to work with a wide variety of people with different personalities and backgrounds.
• Must be punctual and comply with shift schedule.
• No relocation assistance offered.
• Pre-employment and random drug testing and background screen applies.
In lieu of the above, any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the aforementioned knowledge, abilities, and skills may be considered at the company’s discretion.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The USES category for this position is heavy. While performing the duties of this job the associate is regularly required to stand, sit, kneel, squat, and walk, as well as talk and hear. The associate must occasionally lift and/or move up to 65 lbs. and move more than 125 lbs. with the aid of material handling equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision. Requires manual dexterity to use hand tools and related equipment and repetitive motion required when moving cylinders.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the associate is occasionally exposed to moving delivery vehicles, forklifts, compressors and machine parts. This position requires spending the majority of the time outdoors the plant area loading/unloading product from vehicle, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions which can be inclement with temperatures ranging from -10 to over 110 degrees. The noise level in the work environment is loud.
Airgas offers a competitive compensation and benefits package (medical, dental, vision, life, disability insurance, 401(k) plan, employee stock purchase plan, profit-sharing, and more).
We know it takes time and energy to submit an application. While we sincerely appreciate your interest in career opportunities with Airgas, due to the high volume of applications received we are unable to reach out to every applicant individually. If we think you might be a match for this position our recruiting team will reach out to you directly.
Airgas is an equal opportunity employer EOE/M/F/V/D.
NO PHONE CALLS.
Airgas, Inc. (NYSE: ARG), through its subsidiaries, is one of the nation’s leading suppliers of industrial, medical and specialty...