To load dry bulk products (non-hazardous) into barges with the use of conveyors and loading spout in a safe and efficient manner. Perform all work in strict accordance with company, environmental, health and safety policies and procedures.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Move barges as needed, tying off barges with ropes and cables.
- Inspect barges upon their arrival.
- Gauge empty barges.
- Load barges to specified drafts.
- Communicate with control room operator via radio when to move winches, loading spout, start and stop conveyor, etc.
- Perform daily preventative maintenance.
- Cross train on other jobs inside of terminal.
- Attend daily, weekly and monthly safety training.
- Perform housekeeping duties in work area.
- Other duties as assigned.
Experience Specific Knowledge:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Previous experience with barge handling.
Competencies/Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to obtain TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential) as issued by TSA (Transportation Security Administration).
- Ability to successfully complete MSHA (Mine Safety and Health Administration) training.
- Successful completion of pre-employment drug screen and background check upon job offer.
- Effectively communicate, orally (face to face and by telephone) and in writing, in English with coworkers, contractors, government officials and Senior Management.
- Read and understand written material (in English), including use and understanding of basic numerical calculations.
- Must be able to sit, stand, and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must be willing to work in protected areas at heights greater than six (6) feet above the ground.
- Must be able to work over water (dock).
- Must be able to reach, climb, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Must be able to hear and smell for deficiencies or hazards.
- Must be able to pass a respiratory fit test.
Preferred education, experience, certifications, competencies, skills and abilities:
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be willing to work all shifts, overtime, weekends and holidays as required.
- Must be available to respond to call-out as required.
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from supervisor, keep required work schedule, focus on attention to details, and follow work rules.
Above the minimum requirements; not required but advantageous in this position:
- Previous river and/or barge experience preferred
- Previous bulk terminal experience is preferred.
- OSHA Certification not required but a plus.