The Senior BI Developer is responsible for developing and maintaining BI applications and reports using a variety of technologies that support multiple lines of Business and IT initiatives. This position is responsible for data analysis, technical analysis, development, and unit testing of BI solutions as needed by business or IT. The Senior BI developer works closely with subject matter experts to build solutions for ad hoc reporting and self-service BI application needs. A strong knowledge of source data is required for ad hoc reporting.
This position is responsible for working with the BI technical architect, data architect, BI analyst, data analyst, other BI developers including off-shore and business stakeholders to deliver reporting and analytics solutions.
- Interact regularly with BI Developer Lead, BI Technical Architect, BI Analyst and project teams to develop dashboards, highly formatted business reports and BI repositories.
- Multi-task across concurrent projects that may include the evaluation of new technologies as required.
- Create and maintain technical and support documentation.
- Plan for and respond to rapidly changing requirements.
- Define, execute and document unit tests.
- Translate business requirements into functional and technical specifications.
- Leverage business intelligence toolset to deliver best solution to meet business needs in accordance with established BI strategy.
- Work effectively across various IT project and support teams including project managers and off-shore developers to meet project deliverables.
- Participate in ad hoc report service request requirements definition and recommend short and long-term reporting solutions.
- Provide level 3 support for BI Applications.
- For ad hoc report request definition, design and development, the BI developer is required to work with all levels of business staff. The BI developer is expected to work with minimal guidance on these requests and independently resolve issues with customers. Ad hoc report request fulfillment requires extensive healthcare data knowledge and data mining expertise.
- Expected to initiate work with minimal guidance on projects and independently resolve issues with customers.
- Bachelor's degree preferably in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years BI development using enterprise BI software preferably OBIEE.
- Advanced SQL skills are necessary.
Specific types of experience:
- Experience in healthcare environment is preferred.
- Extensive experience in reports and dashboards design and development and functional analysis are required.
- Strong working knowledge across the technology stack including web servers, database servers, portals, networking, security, and server hardware.
- Technologies currently used and supported in Medica BI are: PL/SQL, Crystal Server, SAS and Oracle products including data base, pre-built BI Analytics Applications; Crystal Ball, ESSBASE, Hyperion Planning, EPM, R and Oracle Data & Text Mining, Oracle Statistical Functions, Strategy Maps and OBIEE Repository & Dashboards.
- Should have strong experience communicating the status to the manager, solving technical problems within the team, effort estimation process and creating a project status report.
- Certification in SQL, Oracle, SAS, is a plus
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to evaluate, analyze, design and implement solutions based on technical requirements.
- Ability to identify solutions to complex problems and business processes using tools and technologies to improve efficiency through automation, re-use, design patterns, and best practices
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate to a variety of audiences in both verbal and written form
- Ability to collaborate with all levels of a complex organization to meet the needs of business and IT
- Ability to deal effectively in a team environment as well as work independently with or without supervision
- Excellent problem solving skills
Medica - 16 months ago