The Vice President for Media and Communications is responsible for the development of Manhattan School of Music’s (MSM) communication strategy and the implementation of a broad range of public relations activities relative to the School’s strategic direction and leadership. This individual will build relationships with the media with the goal to advance the School’s position, and to drive broader awareness and support with relevant constituents.
The Vice President for Media and Communications oversees all internal media and external owned media, and editorial media relations for MSM, as well as performance promotion and marketing, and communications for academic departments and businesses, and institutional pursuits and issues.
Communications Strategy and Leadership
• Develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance the School’s brand identity and to broaden visibility of its programs, initiatives, and faculty and student accomplishments across key stakeholder audiences.
• Lead comprehensive digital and electronic communications strategy and planning, and manage execution and analysis.
• Intelligently integrate digital and traditional media plans.
• Manage internal and external resources in the execution of media plans while analyzing and recommending tactical changes to maximize campaign performance. Communicate campaign performance metrics.
• Create marketing/public relations strategy that will allow the School’s leadership to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences.
• Work as a member of leadership team (President’s Council) to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions, and define appropriate strategies to support them.
• Oversee development of all print communications, including marketing and recruitment materials, digital publications, and all electronic communications involving the website and other online communications.
• Serve as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions that promote and/or impact the organization.
• Oversee and train department staff to develop core competency.
• Prioritize media opportunities, and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, press releases, and other supporting material as needed or directed by the President.
• Actively engage, cultivate and manage press relationships to ensure coverage surrounding programs, special events, concerts, public announcements, and other projects.
• Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications function, including budgeting, planning, and staff development.
• Direct all aspects of website and social media creation and management.
• Collaborate with other MSM offices (Admissions, Distance Learning, CME, Student Life, Precollege, Campus Store) to create and produce dynamic promotional materials to attract prospective students and new audiences.
• Supervise the Box Office, including promotion and ticket sales for all MSM performances.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field is highly desired. An advanced degree is preferred.
• Experience in higher education and/or the arts is required.
• Minimum 5 years experience in a significant management role and experience in planning, writing, editing, and production of newsletters, press releases, annual reports, marketing literature, and other print publications and directories.
• Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top-tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
• Extensive successful writing and editing experience (externally focused) with a variety of print and online communications media. Creative and thoughtful on how new media technologies can be utilized.
• Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing a comprehensive strategic communications, media relations, and marketing program to advance an organization's mission and goals.
• Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
• Excellent and persuasive communicator with the confidence to gain credibility and respect.
• Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can impact both strategic and tactical initiatives.
• Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management.
• Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker.
• Passion for Manhattan School of Music’s mission.
Equal employment and equal educational opportunity have been and will continue to be fundamental principles at Manhattan School of Music, where employment and enrollment are based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Send cover letter, résumé, and salary requirements to Bryan Greaney, Assistant to the President at: email@example.com
New York Foundation for the Arts - 30+ days ago
Manager of House Staff
Manhattan School of Music
New York, NY
New York Foundation for the Arts
- 12 days ago
Dean of Students
Manhattan School of Music
New York, NY
- 4 days ago