This position is in PC Finance supporting Nationwide Insurance. The role provides financial analyses and decision support to NI Leadership, PC Staff Sales, Strategy and Marketing, focusing on distribution investments and related decisions impacting the Nationwide Exclusive Agency Channel. The role leads creating and maintaining complex financial models and leads a small team including one FLRP associate, but may also provide periodic matrix leadership to cross-functional teams. Although the role focuses on the Exclusive Agency Channel, support may also be provided to PC Finance areas supporting other distribution channels.
JOB SUMMARY: Provides financial, informational, administrative, advisory and analytical services to senior leadership relative to the coordination and management of functional offices and special projects. Develops and implements functional productivity measures; tracks and analyzes functional financial activity.
RELATIONSHIP: Reports to Vice President/Officer. Directly manages 1-2 more financial business managers/advisors/specialists.
1. Reviews and evaluates actual financial results in relationship to planned and long-range objectives; analyzes trends and provides forecasts for operating results as appropriate. Summarizes critical information in actionable form for senior leadership.
2. Assists leadership in monitoring both strategic and operating results. Recommends and assists in the implementation of actions designed to prevent deviations from strategic direction.
3. Coordinates with the Office of Corporate Controller, the accumulation and preparation of expense information necessary for quarterly and year-end financial statements.
4. Coordinates the development of the functional budget, assisting the department heads/field operations as necessary; submits budget to leadership for approval. Prepares responses and coordinates implementation of internal and external auditing recommendations and controls for functional operations.
5. Provides assistance to cabinet regarding budgets, coordination of meetings, staffing and human resource matters. Reports activity as needed.
6. Assists and coaches in the staff's role to participates, as a member of the leadership team, in managing to premium, loss and expense objectives. As a value business partner, identifies key operations issues through proactive and insightful analysis, and timely and focused reporting around financial income, loss and expense measures.
7. Assists and coaches the staff in their role to serve as liaison between assigned business unit leadership and staff financial function. Facilitates planning activities and coordinates with both functional and other offices. Provides functional advice or training to less experienced financial analysts and project team members
8. Influences/encourages business operations to maintain focus on to improve financial results. Assists and coaches the staff in their role to prepare complex forecasts, including the analysis of trends and the evaluation of best practices resulting in strategic recommendations. Reviews the impact of variances from plan and assesses the need to update the long-term plans or the development of corrective plans.
9. Assists and coaches the staff in their role to analyze actual operational results in relationship to plan, allowable, past experience and long-range objectives. Assists the business operations in the over-all responsibility for attaining profit and growth
10. Conducts financial orientation and training to business operations to build their understanding of financials and to help them link their actions to the results.
11. Directs special projects and initiatives to analyze information regarding changes in the industry and regulations. Recommends and implements necessary action steps to address such changes.
12. May be responsible for associate management one or two direct reports including: performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development, workflow and organizational planning, hiring and placement, and disciplinary actions.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education: Undergraduate studies in finance, economics, accounting or statistics; advanced degree in financial field desired. Technical insurance coursework desirable.
Designations: CPA preferred.
Experience: Ten years experience related to accounting, finance, insurance or administrative business functions, with at least five years management level experience.
Knowledge: Advanced knowledge of statistical analysis, financial statement preparation, budgeting and financial analysis techniques, and related business operations. Facility with GAAP and statutory accounting practices and insurance/financial service business requirements. Thorough knowledge of administrative policies and procedures required.
Skills/Competencies: Ability to direct and motivate associates in all aspects of the work and ability to train associates in financial analysis and planning. Command of all skills necessary for both oral and written communication with all levels of management, representatives of other insurance, financial and governmental groups. Excellent analytical skills necessary to analyze performance and financial operating reports to determine cause/effect relations and make recommendations. Ability to set work priorities that conform to established standards. Ability to operate personal computer and applicable finance and business software.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Staffing Exceptions to the above minimum job requirements must be approved by the: Executive Leadership of area, and HR Consultant.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt).
Working Conditions: Normal working conditions. May involve limited travel between different regions. Must be able to work outside of the normal work day including occasional weekends to meet deadlines and complete special projects. Must be able to handle a high volume/large variety of work within strict deadlines and the related stress.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company - 11 months ago
Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, based in Columbus, Ohio, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial servic...