The Latin American Youth Center seeks a responsible, detail-oriented individual with strong writing, Internet, and Microsoft Office skills. The Grant Writer/Development Manager will be a member of the Latin American Youth Center's (LAYC) development team and works in close partnership with the Chief Development Officer, Lead Grant Writer and development staff to sustain and increase financial and non-financial resources to support programming at LAYC. This position also works very closely with staff throughout the organization including programmatic and other administrative staff.
Routinely interacts with the entire development team and works closely with the Chief Development Officer and Lead Grant Writer; and frequent interaction with various colleagues throughout the organization.
On occasion, s/he will interact with the President &CEO.
The most critical skill needed to perform this position is superior writing ability, specifically the ability to write descriptive and analytic prose that accurately reflects LAYC's complex program mix.
Although the position has a heavy focus on writing, qualified candidates should have experience working in a fast paced development office and the willingness to engage donors, friends and supporters when necessary.
The position also manages some stewardship related activities of the development office including but not limited to writing and preparing thank you letters, updating data in the development database, tracking online contributions and running reports.
This is an exciting opportunity to work at a nationally-recognized youth-serving organization and to learn the principles of fund raising and advanced writing techniques from a seasoned team of professionals. It is also a great opportunity to gain a wealth of experience in a fast-paced and supporting environment.
- In response to government, corporate, and foundation funding opportunities, write and revise grant applications in collaboration with program staff and manage all aspects of application submission;
- Manage reporting process for funded applications, collaborating with program staff as necessary to compose and submit reports to funders;
- Develop and implement strategies to cultivate new sources of support by identifying, obtaining information about, contacting, and following up with prospective funders;
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge about LAYC programs and the financing of those programs;
- Participate in LAYC-wide events and programs as a representative of the development office;
- Update and maintain development donor database system;
- Generate thank you letters and special correspondence to donors;
- Other duties as assigned by Chief Development Officer such as greeting visitors, participating in special events, responding to e-mails, returning phone calls, and preparing development materials;
- Assist with various prospect research projects;
- Other duties as assigned
IV. To Apply
Send a cover letterand résumé with specific reference to grant writing and other relevant experience, and a brief sample of grant writing to
Development and Communications Manager. In your cover letter, please include your availability and salary requirements.
- Grant writing experience highly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to write accurate, well-organized analytic and descriptive narrative text.
- Demonstrated ability to write about program objectives and outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to create program budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to function in a fast-paced work environment and meet multiple deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct online research and use results in writing.
- Familiarity with youth development programs and practices preferred.
- Experience producing written work through a collaborative process preferred.
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Capable of working independently and with minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Personable, presentable, and comfortable in interacting with a wide range of people.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps Suite required.
- Spanish fluency welcomed but not required.
- Experience in youth development or working with multicultural populations preferred.
Last Updated on Friday, 08 February 2013 15:16
As a matter of policy, the foreign policy of the US government and the financial support of developing countries are inseparable in the job...