Now taking off: Your career.Where do you want your career to take you? Chances are, you can get there with United Airlines. Our environment is open, honest, and focused on your success. So choose a career path. And rediscover what it's like to enjoy your job.
Project Manager - IT ADM - Portfolio Management Strategy and Planning - HQS or WHQHouston, TX or Chicago, IL Equal Opportunity Employer by Choice.
Travel subject to service charges/restrictions. Bonuses awarded only under terms of United's policies. NO AGENCIES PLEASE Overview
This role is accountable for the strategy, evaluation and implementation of standards and procedures which support the enterprise's SDLC standards. The Project Manager collaborates with multiple teams and is involved in the planning and execution of projects and programs. Interacts directly with Portfolio project teams and the Project Management Office. Ensures projects/programs are completed within the committed time and budget by creating and maintaining representations of projects at the Portfolio level. This Project Manager is accountable for collaborating with the project teams to offer improvement, keep abreast of new technologies, recommends the incorporation those technologies when appropriate and motivates others to utilize them. This Project Manager is tasked with understanding all of the operating policies and procedures of the enterprise and has decision making responsibility within the function and escalates any issues which cannot be resolved.
- Establish and maintain strong business relationships with both senior and operating level business leaders
- Establish and maintain strong business relationships with the project managers and business analysts across the Portfolio
- Understand the business and provide recommendations for improvement of Business Processes by leveraging existing IT capabilities, identifying improvements to existing IT capabilities and define new strategic IT capabilities
- Stay abreast of business strategy, goals, objectives and operational performance
- Be a Thought Partner, i.e. engaged with project teams and business owners
- Responsible for escalating, offering improvement and follow-through on resolution of issues related to delivery of projects
- Engage and ensure effective delivery of business deliverables and tasks with business partners for delivery of technology solutions (development of business requirements, scope management, training business change management and deployment)
- Accountable for creating and maintaining representation of the overall health of projects at a the Portfolio level
- Accountable for partnering with the Management teams and delivering strategic roadmaps that can be translated to executable tasks
- Accountable for working with the PMO on the Capital Plan and Multi-Year Planning (MYP) initiatives
- Accountable for ensuring that projects are being managed consistently
- Provide cost estimates and business case updates
- Accountable for ensuring strategy roadmaps comply with architectural standards
- Responsible for communication of portfolio issues, recommendations for improvement to senior IT Leadership
- IT Process Mgmt. and Administrative
- Define, prioritize, allocate resources, track and provide status reporting of work assignments, projects, programs
- Budget and cost management for the projects/programs
- Ensure IT application development process disciplines (solution delivery, project management, work requests, QA, etc) and standards are established, effectively managed and performed.
- Provide information and periodic updates to support overall IT performance metrics, monthly project status reporting and quarterly resource planning review.
- Ability to manage up to 5 or more applications
- Ability to manage up to $2-5MM in budget
- BS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Systems, or other related field required.
- MS in Computer Science, Mathematics, Information Systems, or other related field preferred.
- Formal training in Financial analysis preferred.
- PMP certification preferred.
- Communication Skills- The ability to communicate verbally and in writing with all levels of employees and management, capable of successful formal and informal communication, speaks and writes clearly and understandably at the right level
- Integrity and Trust - Involves being widely trusted, being seen as a direct, truthful individual, can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner, keeps confidences, admits mistakes, and doesn't misrepresent him/herself for personal gain
- Teamwork - Involves working well in a collaborative setting, supporting work team by volunteering for and completing assignments, acting as a positive team member by contributing to discussions, developing and maintaining both formal and informal relationships enterprise-wide, defines success in terms of the entire team through mentoring and knowledge transfer
- Technical Expertise - Involves demonstrating a commitment to increasing knowledge and skills in current technical/functional area, keeping up to date on technical developments, staying informed as to industry practices, knowing
- Dedication - Involves demonstrating a desire to dedicate time and energy to accomplish goals, tasks, assignments, etc. Will do what it takes to get things done
- Flexibility - Is open to change, enjoys the challenge of unfamiliar tasks, anticipates and adjusts to problems and roadblocks, is not thrown off when things change, can flex to future consequences and trends appropriately
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions, probes all fruitful sources for answers, can see hidden problems, is excellent at honest analysis, looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answer
- Self-Development - Is actively committed to continuously improve him/herself, understands that different situations and levels may call for different skills and approaches, knows personal strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and limits, works on compensating for weaknesses and limitations, seeks feedback, gains insights from mistakes, is open to criticism without being defensive
- Task Management - Delivers quality work on time, translates planning into action by following applicable established procedures or methodologies, proactively monitors and controls task status by collecting and analyzing task data to anticipate and address barriers, appropriately communicates and resolves or escalates any problems that arise
- 5 to 10 years of IT and business/industry work experience
- At least 12 months of leadership experience in managing multiple, large, cross-functional teams or projects, and influencing senior level management and key stakeholders
- Requires advanced technical and business knowledge in software development life cycle, quality assurance, project management and other related disciplines/processes
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Regular attendance and punctuality in accordance with United's policies is required
- Attendance is required at work location. (Please note, this may not be applicable to positions where in fact someone can telecommute. Inclusion of this requirement should be evaluated on a case by case basis.)
- If you have already accepted a position with the new United, you understand and agree to remain in the assignment previously agreed upon for a period of one year and understand that you will not be considered for other positions for at least one year, posted via the Talent Selection portal.
CareerBuilder - 4 months ago
Now taking off: Your career
At United®, we are thriving in the culture that our employees have helped to create, one that encourages...