Jacksonville Lighthouse Charter School is seeking a licensed School Counselor to work with grades K-8.
Lighthouse Academy (LHA) counselors are more than staff members. They help transform children’s lives by creating opportunities for a brighter future. We are seeking a counselor who will make the commitment to conduct their work with determination, integrity and purpose, embodying these essential qualities:
- Past experiences and actions reflect a commitment to the LHA mission, vision, core values
- A passion and ability to build and sustain the LHA K-12 model in a high need, urban environment
- Work in schools that demonstrates a sense of urgency and the relentless pursuit of high academic student achievement
- Reflective, self-aware and adaptable to communication and work styles of others
- Critical thinker and problem solver who takes initiative
- Belief in the power of collaboration and works to build a collaborative culture with LHA network, community, staff, families and students
A Lighthouse Academy counselor provides support services to students. Support services include referrals, counseling, assessment, diagnostics, and report writing. This work takes place at the school site. All counselors’ actions must always be aligned with our mission, vision, core values and education program. The essential functions for our counselors are as follows:
EXAMPLES of WORK:
- Completes assessments, referrals, and counseling with students.
- Consults with other professional staff, outside agencies and other organizations.
- Serves as a member of school-based teams to provide support to students and confidential guidance to staff.
- Counsels students individually or in groups.
- Meets with staff to discuss strategies for certain student(s).
- Communicates progress and developments with parents as needed.
- Serves on the school’s Response to Intervention Team.
- Completes written reports of all cases and meetings.
- Interviews students, families, and staff.
- Make oral presentations of assessments, diagnostics, and observations, in accordance with all confidentiality laws and regulations.
- Collaborates with teaching staff to determine the best setting to meet student needs (i.e., individual counseling, social skill development groups, mentoring classes)
- Completes other reports as may be required by federal, state, or local agencies, laws, and regulations.
Education: Master’s degree in the field of counseling, MSW preferred
Experience, Knowledge & Skills:
- Three (3) years prior experience providing the service required by this position, including at least three years of experience working with and counseling children preferred.
- Holds a license from the State to provide services as a Licensed Counselor.
- Strong desire to work within an innovative, urban educational program
Strong interpersonal skills; personal organization skills.
- Knowledge of appropriate counseling procedures.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state statutes dealing with privacy, care and protection abuse.
- Ability to diagnose emotional, personal, and social issues using DSM
- Ability to make referrals to appropriate staff members and other agencies and organizations.
- Highly effective writing, oral and interpersonal skills to communicate with a varied audience
- Computer skills including word processing, database, and spreadsheet are required.
Lighthouse Academies - 18 months ago
Lighthouse Academies is committed to improving the educational opportunities for children. If you would like us to assist you in creating...