Evaluates and processes purchase requests for all of Shelby County Government.
EEOC CODE: 20
GRADE: 48 Minimum Qualifications Three (3) years experience in purchasing and graduated from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance or a closely related field; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience. (PROOF OF EDUCATION IS REQUIRED) Special Requirements Duties and Responsibilities 1. Purchases items generally of a medium to high dollar range or volume and of a high technical nature.
2. Assists and direct various user departments in their purchasing requests.
3. Prepares detailed specifications, expedite orders and resolve problems.
4. Purchases for other buyers in their absence.
5. Communicates with data center on a technical level to identify and resolve operational problems with the system to prevent interruptions and delays in the procurement process.
6. Creates and maintains files necessary for the operation of the system.
7. Responsible for maintaining verbal, written and personal contacts with departments and vendors concerning purchasing activities.
8. Responds to request for information, complaints and protest in a thorough, effective and timely manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities 1. Thorough knowledge of modern principles, procedures and practices for Governmental Purchasing.
- Writes and maintains up-to-date system operating procedures for use by buyer and clerical personnel.
- Assists in the development of special report formats and generation of reports on the system.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or directed.
2. Thorough knowledge of policies, procedures and established legal guidelines applicable to operation of a professional and ethical purchasing environment.
3. Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion.
4. Ability to work effectively and tactfully with personnel at all levels of County Government.
5. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
6. Have a complete working knowledge of state-of-the-art computerized purchasing system.
7. Must be technically oriented and capable of communicating coordinating effectively with data processing personnel.
Shelby County Government is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, sex, national origin or handicap status
Shelby County Government participates in E-Verify
Equal Opportunity Employer
Memphis and Shelby County Health Department - 2 years ago
Shelby County Health Care Corporation, dba Regional Medical Center at Memphis (The MED), provides a variety of health care services to the...