UTC Climate, Controls & Security is the leading provider of heating, air conditioning and refrigeration systems, building controls and automation, and fire and security solutions. UTC Climate, Controls & Security is a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX), a leading provider to the aerospace and building systems industries worldwide.
Lenel is currently seeking to expand its Content Services staff with the addition of a full-time Technical Documentation Specialist responsible for creating technical materials such as general and Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) A&E functional specifications, user manuals, operating instructions, online help, release notes, knowledge base articles, and product white papers. The successful candidate will join a team of writers working with cross-functional teams in a fast-paced, dynamic and innovative environment. Three or more years experience creating documentation are required.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Create functional specifications that meet Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) standards
- Participate on a Sustaining Engineering team and write release notes
- Research, analyze, write, organize, edit, and proofread technical data for use in documents or sections of documents including but not limited to: functional specifications, application, installation, programming, operation, troubleshooting, and service topics and guides; installation sheets; online help systems; knowledge base articles; specifications; internet-ready information products and systems
- Participate on an Agile team, consisting of a Scrum Master and members of the Software Development, Quality Assurance, and Product Management teams
- Collaborate effectively with onsite and offsite subject matter experts and team members
- Create hardware documentation for certification by Underwriters Laboratories Inc.
- Plan and manage workload balancing on multiple projects
- Create and maintain online and printed documentation for software and hardware-related concepts
- Prepare illustrations and screenshots that illustrate products and features
- Initiate and manage Adobe Acrobat PDF reviews
- Follow the departmental style guide when creating and editing documentation
- Contribute new concepts to the departmental style guide, research style proposals, make recommendations, and implement decisions made in the style guide
- Bachelor`s Degree, with focus on technical writing, communications, engineering, journalism, English, technology, or equivalent experience
- Excellent attitude, energy level, and adaptability
- Demonstrated experience researching and writing functional specifications that meet
- Construction Specifications Institute (CSI) specifications
- Demonstrated excellence in writing, layout, editing, and organizational skills
- Able to learn new technologies, software, and concepts quickly and communicate them clearly
- Experience creating single-source, topic-based documentation
- Experience with online help systems and delivery tools
- Skilled with creating hardware documentation
- Proficient with Adobe FrameMaker (Unstructured required, Structured preferred) and Microsoft Office
- Knowledgeable about creating documentation for certification by Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL)
- Knowledge of access control systems, including OnGuard
- Experience creating documentation for remote teams
- Experience writing localization-ready documentation, preparing documents for localization, and performing desktop publishing on translated documents
- Knowledge of HTML, XML, and DITA
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- 2 years ago - save job