This is a NON-CONTINUING position, 2 hours/day for the remainder of the school year.
Preference will be given to candidates who also apply for the 6-hour clerk position posted online.
If you are a current employee please apply through the "Internal" link found at the top of this page (this does not include substitutes).
This position's responsibilities are to ensure the safety and well-being of students in a variety of non-classroom settings, such as lunchrooms, hallways, and playgrounds.
Consideration will be given to candidates who apply to both this position and the 6 hour clerk position.
Depending upon the individual assignment, the Paraeducator - Student Supervision performs all or a combination of several of the following duties:
1. Supervises student behavior in the lunchroom, hallways or on playgrounds; monitors and mediates disputes; intervenes as necessary. Maintains order; determines and carries out appropriate disciplinary action as required; maintains discipline records.
2. Ensures that students follow rules and regulations on playground, in lunchroom, halls, bus loading areas, and other school areas; instructs students in proper behavior.
3. May assist in setting up lunch tables; assists in cleaning spills, wiping tables and related straightening of meal area; may dismiss children to recess.
4. Supervises safe use of playground equipment; periodically checks equipment for wear or damage; alerts appropriate staff member to needed repairs.
5. Monitors need for first aid for injured or ill students and refers for treatment as appropriate.
6. Ensures that adults on playground, school perimeter or in hallways have checked in at the school office; reports problems.
7. Establishes rapport with students. Communicates with teachers and administrators regarding student behaviors.
8. Organizes and participates in intramural sports, games and activities; may act as a referee. Teaches students the rules of various games and how to resolve problems cooperatively. Communicates intramural program to certificated staff.
9. Helps to involve isolated students in group activities. Provides positive contact.
10. Helps to integrate special needs students in group activities. May be assigned to work one-on-one with special needs students.
11. May monitor restrooms during lunch or recess.
12. Patrols playground for lost items; instructs students to pick up and return equipment at the end of recess period.
13. May serve on various district committees and/or departmental work teams. Models appropriate and cooperative behavior, including protecting confidential information, consistent with district ethical guidelines.
14. Performs related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
Reports to the school principal or assigned administrator.
Required to deal with a wide range of student behaviors; may occasionally deal with distraught or difficult individuals; requires alertness and safety awareness.
May be required to work outdoors in inclement weather; required to stand for prolonged periods; may be required to lift, move or carry students or equipment; potentially exposed to ordinary infectious diseases carried by students; may need to take precautions to avoid exposure to student bodily fluids; exposed to high noise levels from students.
Education and Experience
Education, training, skills, and experience necessary to carry out the assignment, experience working with school-aged children preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of safety rules, regulations and procedures. Effective oral communication skills. Ability to deal with students in a warm and confident manner. Ability to supervise and correct student behavior. Ability to learn and implement effective behavior management techniques. Ability to remain flexible to changes in assignments or situations. Ability to organize and supervise activities. Ability to follow and give instructions. Ability to be fair and consistent when working with children. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and students. Ability to diffuse situations and resolve conflicts.
Requires fingerprinting and background check to determine that there have been no convictions involving physical molestation, abuse, injury or neglect of a minor. Must complete training in and adhere to district infection control plan. Valid first aid card may be required.
Bethel School District
- 2 years ago - save job