The Licensed Practical Nurse is responsible for providing skilled nursing care to patients in accordance with the physician’s orders and plan of care under the direction of a Registered Nurse. The Licensed Practical Nurse provides intermittent, individualized nursing care to patients in the home setting. The Licensed Practical Nurse provides care and/or services in accordance with professional standards, applicable laws and regulations and agency policies and procedures and adheres to Medicare and Medicaid regulations.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
· Provides patient care assigned by and under the direction of the Registered Nurse who provides onsite supervision as needed, based upon severity of patients, medical condition and training and experience according to the agency's policies and procedures.
· Provides skilled nursing care within the nursing scope of practice, the standard of care, and as ordered on the plan of care and in compliance with physician orders.
· Documents skilled care and/or services provided in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations, and agency policies and procedures.
· Prepares clinical and progress notes for the clinical record.
· Assists the physician and RN in performing specialized procedures.
· Prepares equipment and materials for treatment using sterile and aseptic techniques.
· Assists patients in learning self care techniques.
· Reports any changes in patient’s condition to the physician and RN/DON with the reports documented in patient files.
· Administers treatments and medications to the patient in the home setting.
· Participates in multidisciplinary approach to patient care.
· Participates in case conferences to discuss multidisciplinary team responsibilities, patient progress, and plans for continued care.
· Promotes and provides patient/family/caregiver education using various verbal and written communication techniques that take into account the patient’s/family’s cultural, ethnic, and/or personal needs or preferences.
· Participates in the agency’s performance/quality improvement program.
· Attends agency meetings and in-service programs as required.
· Obtains appropriate number of continuing education credits to maintain re-licensure status.
· Completes projects/assignments within specific timetables.
· Attains goals as set forth in the annual performance evaluation.
· Submits documentation within required timeframes.
· Maintains strict confidentiality on patient, agency, and employee matters.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflect the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal responsibilities of the job identified and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
JOB QUALIFICATIONS/PROFESSIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
Currently licensed in the state of practice
Minimum of 2 years experience in a health care setting
· CPR per agency policy.
· Current health certificate/physical examination and TB testing results (if applicable).
· Evidence of physical abilities to adequately perform described duties.
· Knowledgeable of federal, state regulations and agency’s policies and procedures regarding patient care.
· Demonstrates adequate knowledge regarding exposure and safe handling of body fluids, chemicals, and some hazardous equipment.
· Able to learn and apply practical training, follow physician’s orders and produce accurate records of activities and services provided.
· Able to see and hear adequately to respond to auditory and visual requests which relate to the coordination of agency activities.
· Able to speak in a clear, concise voice in order to communicate direction for agency activities and staff.
· Demonstrates assessment skills.
· Demonstrates motivation to increase knowledge regarding home health care.
· Possesses excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate across all levels of authority and to patients.
· Possesses excellent organization, problem solving, and project management skills.
· Maintains licensure requirements as applicable to the position.
· Maintains a valid driver’s license and insurance as applicable to the position.
· Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
1. Hours of Work: As required and scheduled.
2. Physical and Mental Demands & Limitations Statement: This position requires good physical and mental health. The position requires the physical & mental ability to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, talk, write, hear and see. The position requires mental fortitude to use logical and analytical thinking and the ability to handle stress. For specific physical demands of the position please see attached.
You are not required to disclose information about physical or mental limitations that you believe will not interfere with your ability to do the job. However, you should disclose any physical or mental impairment for which special arrangements or reasonable accommodations are needed to enable you to perform the essential functions of the job. Your description of any impairment and suggestions for reasonable accommodations will be considered in providing reasonable accommodations.
Demonstrates an understanding of the HIPAA (Health Information Portability and Accountability Act of 1996) regulations as they apply to their job and business. Maintains strict confidentiality of all patient information, medical information and the medical record.
a. Discusses only appropriate patient information in public and private areas protecting the confidentiality and dignity of all patients, by actions and words.
b. Releases only appropriate patient information over the telephone providing for balance between guest services and confidentiality of all patients.
c. Maintains record confidentiality by sending all internal and external written patient information in sealed envelopes to other departments.
d. Has a clear understanding of the HIPAA Security rule as it relates to electronic, technical and physical safeguards for computer equipment, and access levels.