The position of Fork Lift Operator is responsible for all aspects of loading, moving, and handling products within an industrial warehouse facility.
• Operates fork-lift truck equipment by means of mechanical and manual controls.
• Trucks palletized loads of packaged sugar by piling and depiling from and to specified location in warehouse and loading station.
• Inspects sugar carriers such as rail cars or trucks, to ascertain that carriers are acceptable to load.
• Records storage plan on loading record and informs loading crew of desired method or plan for loading carriers to insure minimum damage to sugar in transit.
• Counts and records sugar loaded by grade and quantity.
• Performs other clerical duties to insure proper and accurate loading such as preparing Loading Records, Package Records, Loading Time Records, etc.
• Performs other related duties as directed by foreman or supervisors.
• Trucks loaded pallets from storage area to railroad cars or trucks on loading platform; trucks incoming pallet loads to specified area.
• Supplies and moves empty pallets to palletizers and to other specified locations in warehouse area.
• May be required to manually rehandle, replace or remove packages from pallet loads. May be required to drive other trucks or tractors.
• Obtains equipment form designated location before work and returns equipment when work is completed.
• Reports immediately any mechanical defects or breakdowns of equipment to foreman. May operate freight elevator when necessary to transport sugar and warehouse shipping supplies from one floor to another.
• Performs all jobs in accordance with established safety practices and sanitation standards.
• Knowledge of different grades, packages and loading patterns.
• Ability to maneuver equipment in confined areas.
• Ability to coordinate hand and foot controls.
• Knowledge of warehouse locations and sugar identification.
• Ability to read shipping documents and other written material.
Required Experience A mininum of two (2) years of experience operating a forklift and working in a manufacturing facility in a materials handling role.
Required Education High School diploma or GED required.
Required Qualifications Ability to work rotating shifts, including overtime, weekends and holidays as required.
American Sugar Refining Inc. - 19 months ago