Graduation from an accredited four (4) college or university with major coursework in Graphic Design or a certificate in Graphic Design plus five (5) years of relevant work experience.
Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The Graphic Designer B will work with the Austin Public Library Administration Division.
If selected for interview, applicant required to bring portfolio.
$18.78 – $23.93 per hour
Monday through Friday
8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Work schedule and location subject to change.
Job Close Date
Departments may close a posting at their discretion
Open Until Filled
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
JHF Library, 800 Guadalupe St., Austin, TX 78701
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Designs develops, and produces and creates illustrations, logos and art work for a wide variety of marketing materials for meetings, presentations, trade shows, and other events.
2. Perform photography work (graphic design, events, etc.) for publication in newsletters or inclusion in reports.
3. Monitors all stages of production to complete projects (design the work and incorporate others’ ideas). Coordinates all aspects of producing marketing materials.
4. Advises and consults with vendors (photo labs, photographers, printers, etc.). Produces bid specifications, documentation, and contracts for vendors.
5. Assists in the planning and development of advertising/promotional campaigns/strategies.
6. Designs and edits newsletters for internal and external use.
7. Develops and updates Intranet and Internet web sites. Use computerized graphic software to produce final product.
8. Plans and works on assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations.
9. May have primary responsibility for larger individual projects or act as an art director for client programs. May act as a liaison on behalf of these programs.
10. Assists with the development of long range strategic marketing plans.
Responsibilities - Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May lead or supervise others
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of art work.
Knowledge of marketing practices and procedures, design principles, and media industries.
Knowledge of graphic layouts for product illustrations, company logos, internet and intranet websites.
Knowledge of sample layouts based on layout principles and esthetic design concepts.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Ability to use computer software to generate new images.
Ability to understand advanced visual problem-solving skills, conceptualization and project management skills.
Ability to come up with unusual ideas about a given topic or situation.
Ability to imagine how something will look after it is moved around or when its parts are moved or rearranged.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to lead others.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other city employees and the public.
Does this job require a criminal background investigation?
This position requires a criminal background investigation
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
City of Austin - 9 months ago
For over 70 years, the Housing Authority of the City of Austin has strived to serve its residents by providing an affordable home and avenue...