The La Crosse County Aging Unit needs someone to bring meals to the Elderly Homebound in the Onalaska & South La Crosse area. You will find this to be very rewarding for you and all the participants of the program. Mileage will be reimbursed.
Hours of Work: Meals are delivered Monday through Friday between 10:30am and 12:30pm. This is a substitute/fill-in position, with no guaranteed hours.
To Be a Successful Applicant: 1-Provide a ten-year work history. Explain gaps in employment. 2-Include reasons for leaving each job. 3-Fill out all fields on the application, including address and phone numbers of previous employers.
Essential Job Functions:
For a full list of duties and qualifications, please see job description on our website. Packages and packs meals at the Senior Nutrition Program\Elderly Meals site with assistance of the Nutrition Site Manager. Assists in organizing and making determinations for the delivery route. Ensures that special dietary meals, such as for diabetics, have the proper name on them so they are delivered to the correct person. Drives vehicle in all types of weather to recipients' homes and delivers the meal. While at the home, does a quick visual check and assesses how the meal recipient is doing. Observes for such things as whether the person is disoriented or wearing the same clothes as other days, and takes appropriate action by letting the Site Manager know. If meal is undelivered, follows up and advises the Site Manager. Tracks mileage for expense reimbursement, keeps records, and documents information. Reports back to the Nutrition Site to return the totes, and reports information regarding meal recipients to the Site Manager, if any unusual situations have been noted. Maintains a friendly and welcoming demeanor when delivering meals to encourage conversation with meal recipients. Provides information and referral regarding available programs and services.
Training, Experience and Other Requirements:
- Access to personal vehicle, good driving record, valid driver’s license and carry insurance on vehicle to meet the County requirements.
- Availability to work mid-day hours with reliability.
- Good communication skills
- Enjoy working with people over 60 years of age.
- Good character and pass a criminal record check.
- Preference given to persons who are regular participants in the Elderly Nutrition Program and/or persons who have done volunteer work at the Elderly Nutrition Dining sites.
- The following are helpful: Community volunteer experience; work experience and/or training in gerontology; training in the medical area such as CPR training, basic first aid.
- May consider other relevant combination of training and experience.
La Crosse County, WI - 2 years ago