The Database Administrator will be responsible for analyzing, designing, validating, and implementing enterprise wide database systems. They will also be responsible for maintenance, performance tuning, back-up and recovery, as well as growth and operational readiness of Sequenom’s databases.
- Administer, troubleshoot, and support Microsoft SQL environments.
- Complete troubleshooting, resolution, and problem analysis of database systems.
- Develop and monitor routine maintenance plans and database backups for all environments.
- Perform performance monitoring and tuning, including reviewing and recommending database modifications for optimal performance through index analyses, space utilization, space allocation, and hardware specifications
- Monitor systems through Windows, UNIX, and MS SQL Server tools to trouble-shoot performance issues. Essential tools include Windows Performance Monitor, SQL Server Profiler, and Oracle Enterprise Manager.
- Maintain MS SQL Server systems on LIMS (laboratory information management systems), bioinformatics, and financial systems.
- Optimize database performance in virtualized (VM) environments with SAN (Storage Area Network) storage.
- Ensure “best practice” database administration to comply with regulatory requirements.
- Research and design local and remote disaster recovery solutions in a multi-location environment.
- Assist development teams in database design and code development.
- Work with different teams on cross-database (i.e., SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL) and cross-platform environments (i.e., Windows, UNIX, Linux).
- Assist development teams in data warehouse BI (Business Intelligence) applications.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related technical field.
- Minimum of 5+ years of work experience in database administration with proven skill growth in database administration and database design, development and administration.
- Experience with the total SQL Server tool set which include SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio), SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services), SSAS (SQL Server Analysis Services) and SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services).
- Experience with data import/export processes among different OS and database platforms.
- Ability to manage databases in a heterogeneous database environment (SQL Server, Oracle, and UNIX-related database platforms).
- Trouble-shoot performance issues and tune databases for optimal performance.
- Strong SQL Server coding and development.
- Skills to tune databases at the software, database server configuration, and hardware levels.
- Experience in virtualized server and SAN (Storage Area Network) environments.
- Knowledge of regulatory and industry requirements such as Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA, and PCI DDS strongly preferred.