The Senior Database Administrator (Senior DBA) is responsible for database software installations, database creation, patching, upgrades, and capacity planning. The Senior DBA administers database security, startup, shutdown, backups, disaster recovery, and replication of database files to development and test environment systems. The Senior DBA is responsible for maintaining accurate documentation and diagrams of the complex integrated computing infrastructure utilized by Meredith Corporation. This position requires a high degree of teamwork and collaboration among diverse technology teams. The Senior DBA employs DBA skills across multiple database platforms. The Senior DBA participates in day-to-day operational efficiencies of the database systems, database monitoring, problem resolution and performance tuning as determined by their immediate supervisor and business users.
This position serves as a major senior technical support person for all of Meredith's Oracle and MySQL databases. Major critical databases include: Internet facing Websites, Creative Library, Woodwing, and Oracle Financials. This position also requires keeping up with industry best practices, advances in technology, and implementing what makes sense for Meredith Corporation's environment and needs.
Bachelor of Science preferred; or equivalent training or experience
Minimum 5 years Database Administration experience
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Support, resolve, monitor, and troubleshoot database software and hardware problems
• Lead database integration projects delivering on time, cost effective solutions that meet functional specifications
• Evaluate and install new database software releases, upgrades, and patches
• Plan and perform appropriate procedures, documentation, inventory assessment, and other tasks related to IT
• Capacity planning for existing and new environments
• Maintain, monitor, analyze database components and make recommendations regarding system and application health
• Play a lead role in developing, implementing, and maintaining disaster recovery plans
• Inventory and provide accounting for Meredith Corporation's database license usage and supporting software
• Undertake and manage the research and improvement of Meredith Corporation's managed databases
• Automate management tasks, streamline processes, and perform standard administrative functions as needed
• Be responsible for managing Meredith Corporation's databases to meet strategic goals
• Maintain professionalism, good attitude and appropriate behavior with all Meredith personnel and clients
• Maintain vendor relationships
• Self-starter that requires minimal supervision
• Provide 24x7 support
• Maximize system availability and performance through fault-tolerant configuration, efficient architecture, and proactive database monitoring
• Keep systems documentation up to date
• Approve all production schema changes
• Control all migrations of database schema objects
• Tune all database instance components including SQL and PL/SQL
• Approve changes to database design
• Implement failover technology
• Understand data interface protocols
• Manage database security with an adherence to the 'Meredith IT Security Policy'
• Manage development projects
• Mentor, assist, encourage, and serve as a backup to other team members
• Perform additional duties as assigned by management
Meredith may be the true domestic goddess of media. A home and family media firm, Meredith publishes magazines, special interest...