Linux System Administrator - Everett, WA
Remote Work Authorized
Mar 4, 2013, 11:30:49 AM
Essential Job Functions
- Designs and develops integrated solutions to meet business requirements or enhance performance.
- Performs and evaluates cost analyses and vendor comparisons of software/hardware systems to ensure cost-effective and efficient operations and measures feasibility of various approaches and makes recommendations.
- Analyzes potential systems investments and prepares supporting documentation for recommendation(s) to management and customers based on results of independent assessment of current and future performance, stability, and systems management/life cycle issues.
- Provides escalated technical support to customers by handling systems-related issues; may provide on-call technical support telephonically and/or electronically.
- Analyzes and resolves program support deficiencies and conducts testing to enhance performance.
- Conducts moderately complex projects or phases of significant projects; coordinates the efforts of technical support staff in the performance of assigned projects.
- Applies advanced methods, theories and research techniques and assists in the development, implementation and documentation of processes and procedures to ensure compliance with standard business practices. Develops and implements training tools and documentation.
- Provides technical consultation on current and proposed systems to other organizations and clients.
- Performs repairs, maintenance and upgrades of existing systems using solutions in accordance with standard operating procedures. Investigates and resolves matters of significance.
- Provides work guidance to less experienced personnel.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor's degree in systems engineering, computer science, management information systems, or related field preferred
- Four or more years of experience in systems engineering, software engineering, operating systems programming, or naval architecture.
- Experience working with computer hardware, operating system software and desktop applications with a specific concentration in one or more areas
- Experience working with one or more structured programming languages
- Experience working with design principles and applications
- 6+ years Linux Unix System Administration
- 4+ years Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- 3+ years leading a technical team
- Extensive knowledge of Linux O/S (Red Hat preferred), systems integration--resolve interoperability between all systems
- Partner with applications support community in managing over 300 Open Source desktop applications for High Performance Computing jobs.
- Fundamental knowledge of software development (C, C++, Fortran, plus shell scripting)
- U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder
- Position is on-site in Everett, WA
CSC is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
- Software licensing (license installation/management, assist with renewals
- Analytical and creative problem solving skills for design, creation and testing of systems
- Communication skills to communicate system proposals to management and customers and provide systems diagnoses and resolution for current systems
- Interpersonal skills to interact with customers, senior level personnel, and team members
- Organization skills to balance and prioritize work
- Leadership skills to assist less experienced personnel
- Ability to integrate moderately complex hardware and software systems
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
CSC - 24 months ago
For over 50 years, CSC has been a leader in the global IT industry.
Early on, we were instrumental in the rise of the U.S. space...