A new campus of the national Horizons Student Enrichment Program, Inc., Horizons at San Francisco Friends School is a six-week summer academic and enrichment program designed to help under-served K–8 students from the San Francisco Public Schools reach their full potential. The program will launch in the summer of 2014 with approximately 15 students in kindergarten, adding a grade each summer. The heart of Horizons is an exemplary academic program in reading, writing, math, and science, enriched by activities in the performing and visual arts, sports, and local field trips. The primary goal of Horizons is to reverse the trend of summer learning loss which adversely impacts the long-term success of low-income students. For more information visit www.horizonsnational.org
Horizons at San Francisco Friends School is seeking a founding Director to launch this vibrant program and lead the organization's growth and development. The Director will be responsible for building and managing critical relationships with key constituencies: leaders at the Horizons national offices, members of the SFFS administrative team, SFFS Horizons trustees, families, donors, community partners, SFUSD schools in the Mission (and other local) neighborhoods, and students enrolled in Horizons at SFFS. With the SFFS Horizons Board of Trustees, the Director will develop and implement a strategic vision, lead on-going fundraising efforts, and oversee the financial health and stability of the program. He/she will hire, train and supervise staff, and develop a robust academic program. Using on-site and partner school assessments, the Director will analyze program impact.
The position is part time and will grow as the program matures. Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Provide leadership, vision, and inspiration for the founding of Horizons at SFFS
- Work with the Board to provide a sound foundation (finances, governance, fundraising, and program) for the long-term health of Horizons at SFFS
- Set fundraising strategy and goals, lead development efforts, data-tracking and reporting. Identify and solicit new sources of funding; build and maintain strong relationships with funders; prepare grant requests and all required reporting and plan and oversee special fundraising events in cooperation with the Board
- Manage the budget, plan and report the financial status of Horizons at SFFS
- Recruit, train, manage and evaluate teachers and staff and ensure that they successfully reach organizational and professional goals
- Plan and execute all aspects of the six-week summer program and design periodic academic year programs in order to maintain connections with Horizons at SFFS students.
- Recruit students, coordinate volunteers, oversee academic curriculum and enrichment programs, coordinate breakfast and lunch for the summer.
- Coordinate communication, public relations, and community outreach
- Serve as a liaison between Horizons at SFFS and San Francisco Friends School, the National Horizons Program, and San Francisco Friends School's partner schools and organizations
- Strong commitment to Horizon's mission
- Experience with: non-profit leadership, fundraising and financial management, strategic planning and organizational development, and effective team development and management
- At least 5 years of program and/or organizational leadership
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills. Fluency in Spanish preferred.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience required; Master's degree preferred
idealist.org - 9 months ago