To assist the Medical & Scientific Services (M&SS) teams in the implementation of tactical elements of client medical education programmes.
· Proof-reading, styling and copy-editing of word-processed documents.
· Marking up/styling figures and copy prior to typesetting.
· Liaison with internal studio (creative, traditional typesetting, PowerPoint and new media sections) for production of typeset material. To include proof-reading, style, consideration of layout, colour and format issues.
· Liaison with external contacts (e.g., healthcare professionals, clients, congress secretariat, publishers) on behalf of Medical Writers and Editors to settle queries or obtain materials/approvals.
· Tracking progress of projects, providing internal and external updates where necessary.
· Inputting/typesetting PowerPoint slides when necessary.
· Liaison with other Editorial Assistants (EAs), Editors and Senior EAs to optimally manage support staff workload across the division.
· Manage MSS team administrative tasks (e.g. collation and copying of data packs, reference ordering, obtaining copyright permissions, maintaining team filing systems).
· Undertake basic information searching.
· Writing projects where appropriate, e.g., biographies, minutes, correspondence etc.
· Perform or assist others in the role of publication co-ordinator where necessary (where publication planning is an element of the client’s medical education programme). This may involve some or all of the following responsibilities:
· Co-ordinate activities with MSS team, client and authors to ensure successful delivery of all planned publications (manuscripts, posters and abstracts)
· Proactively develop/manage/update publication plan charts or databases based on team/client/author responses/feedback
· Flag issues proactively, inform/drive team re impending deadlines (abstract due dates, author/client comments due etc), proactively chase comments etc
· Liaise with Team Leader to ensure that incoming comments on manuscripts/abstracts/posters are allocated to and actioned by Medical Writers/Editors in a timely manner
· Be main source of information for status of all ongoing publications
· Be main source of information for congress and journal information in specific therapy area
· Actively interrogate databases/charts to provide relevant statistics on publication planning (metrics etc) to team/client
· Be an integral part of the publication plan team and contribute to pub plan meetings (including client) – make a confident contribution to publication plan teleconferencess
· Based on knowledge of planned publications and status of all items, generate draft agendas and write minutes and actions from publication plan calls/meetings without heavy reliance on wider team.
· Undertake basic information searching for publication plan and liaise with Med Info to initiate more complex searches.
· Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative.
· Attention to detail.
· Ability to multitask and prioritise tasks.
· Excellent word-processing skills.
· Good copy-editing skills (grammar, style considerations – familiar with in-house style and client product style preferences).
· Proficiency in the use of common computer software (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and willingness to learn about new systems/other software (e.g. Access, online search facilities, Internet and other databases).
· Willingness to perform a variety of tasks – from simple administrative tasks to more complex projects.
· Scientific/medical background or interest is an advantage.
· Previous publishing company experience is an advantage.
· Previous TGCG, communications agency or healthcare company experience is an advantage.
Key result areas
- To relieve the Medical Writers of areas of their work where minimal medical/scientific input is required, in order to maximise output from the editorial team.
- Senior Editorial Assistant/Senior Medical Writer/Team Leader
· Team Leader, VP Medical & Scientific Services
· Scientific Directors, Principal Writers, Senior Medical Writers, Medical Writers, Editors, Editorial Assistants,
· Medical Information Department
· Account Directors/Account Managers/ Account Executives
· Creative/Production and Exhibition Departments
· Clients and healthcare professionals
· Third party suppliers, e.g., contracted writers, slide outsourcing, publishers, congress secretariats
KnowledgePoint360 - 20 months ago